Exploring Tallinn

Diplomacy & Peace Studies

Ashley Bussiere

One of the greatest advantages of the Diplomacy and Peace Studies program in Estonia is the opportunity to live within the walls of Old Town in the capital city of Tallinn! Students are given free time to explore the area and find their favorite places to eat, visit, and relax as well as structured outings arranged by CIEE. Check out the students’ recommendations and keep these places in mind if you visit this amazing city!

La Muu

A place in Tallinn I would like to recommend is La Muu, an ice cream shop that I recently visited. Their ice cream is very good and tastes a bit different from ice cream in the US. The shop is also conveniently located in the Telliskivi area, which has many interesting art exhibitions and good restaurants. -Janet 

Ice Cream

Estonian Parliament 

One of the places we visited that I enjoyed was the Estonian Parliament building. The architecture was beautiful and had a lot of symbolism within it. The guided tour also gave a lot of information regarding Estonia’s governance, and its values on the country’s independence. My favorite part while I was there was learning about the significance behind the ballroom and the clock that preserved the time Estonia became re-independent. -Ava 

Parliament

St Olaf's Church

One of the places I really liked seeing was St Olaf's Church, I really enjoyed climbing up all the stairs and getting to see the view from the top. It was also very interesting to see the interior because it felt like I was going back in time. -Chad

Top of St Olaf's Church
Inside of St Olaf's Church

Pääskula Bog

One of my favorite places to see was the Pääskula Bog right in Tallinn. We were able to explore one of the many gorgeous walking trails and see a lot of wildlife including birds, frogs, butterflies, and many exotic bog plants. To me, the bog allowed me to experience the nature of Estonia and further understand why Estonian people have such a close relationship with nature. In addition, I liked the bog due to its enchanting beauty and peaceful atmosphere allowing me to really appreciate Estonia outside the hubbub of inner city Tallinn. -Judson 

Walking through the Bog
Bog

Stenbock House

It was really cool to get to visit the Stenbock House, where the Prime Minister and cabinet ministers work. Our tour guide taught us a lot about Estonian history and showed us the incredible house. We even got to go out onto the balcony to see an amazing view of Old Town. It was so cool and definitely one of the highlights of the program for me so far. -Aisling

Balcony Photo

Tallinn TV Tower

Visiting the Tallinn TV Tower was one of my favorite experiences! We were able to learn a little piece of Estonia's history in the backdrop of Soviet occupation and technological advancements. At the top of the tower, we were greeted with panoramic views of Tallinn, all the way from Pareta Beach to the Old Town. We were also able to get a glimpse beyond the city, all the way to the farmlands and the forests. This was one of the best spots to admire the diversity and beauty of Estonia, and I would highly recommend this site to anyone visiting Tallinn! -Alex

TV Tower

TV Tower

Katariina Street 

My favorite spot has got to be Katariina Street! Nestled between the medieval buildings of Old Town, this street is almost hidden, however, if you find it you’ll be rewarded with the local crafts guild that resides here! All along the street sits various art studios, including a pottery studio, a stained glass studio, and a leather working studio, which are just a few of the many different shops you’ll find. -Aidan

Street

Katariina Street

Arsenal Estonian Weaponry Museum

My favorite spot so far is the Arsenal Estonian Weaponry Museum. It is hard to find with the naked eye but once you do it's a great spot to go to it is a few doors down from the master's courtyard. Once you find it you will find a wonderful place if you love old weaponry it is interactive and works as a semi shop where you are able to purchase old Soviet, German, and Estonian medals, knives, and if you want some replica weapons.  -Colin 

Museum

Victims of Communism Memorial

I would absolutely recommend the Victims of Communism Memorial. Walking between the two sky-high walls covered in the names of the deceased really helped me understand the devastation created by the USSR. On the exterior of one of the walls are hundreds of bees, representing the Estonians who have scattered across the globe. This memorial was vital in helping me understand Estonian history, as well as current Estonian views of Russia. -Eva

Memorial
Memorial