Hej hej HSSA Session 1!

Taking Climate Action

Augustina Munter

Over the past few days, our High School Study Abroad Session 1 students have been preparing to head home! We were able to celebrate the last days with a birthday party, the 4th of July (Danish Version), and final presentations. I can't believe this session is over, and that my first session ever as a CIEE Program Leader has finished. I can't thank my additional PL Yatziri and our intern (who went above and beyond to help us) Lena for being great coworkers and making this job a breeze. Now, we are saying hej hej (bye!) to our first group of students! I have included some fun memories below from our last few days.

On the 4th of July we had an American dinner of burgers and loaded milkshakes at the Midwest Diner, right across from our school center. Then we celebrated at Tivoli with a jazz show, got rained on, and stayed for the fireworks!

Loaded milkshake
Group photo

On the last day of class, students gave their group presentations, which were all excellent and I am sure they will return home to expand on these ideas. The presentations went over innovating waste recycling, fashion upcycling, a children's book on climate change, and a short film on climate doomism. We had a very creative group of students, and they all explored climate change and taking climate action in unique ways. We also enjoyed koldskål (cold bowl), which is a popular summer treat made with buttermilk/sugar/lemon juice and topped with strawberries and kammerjunker, Danish cookies.

Two students giving a presentation
Koldskål

We celebrated our student Charlotte on her 17th birthday with the traditional Flødeboller (Danish marshmallow puffs) and dinner at Neighborhood pizza.

Student blowing out birthday candles

Charlotte and Coleman both had delayed travel plans, but we made the best of it with dinner and ice cream at Islands Brygge, and they made it home!

Pizza dinner with Charlotte, Coleman, and Lena

And just like that, the first HSSA session has ended. Not only did the students spend time in class and on excursions learning about climate change and how they can take action back home to put their lessons into practice, but we took fun trips and left with many new friends. I am grateful for everything I have learned from these students, including new slang, how to dress like a Scandinavian cool-girl, and that I am "old". I won't forget the fun bucket hats Jordan and Nora bought at Tivoli, or all the times Coleman solved his Rubik's cube (hint: it was easily 100x per day, and I will never not be in awe). Willow expanded my vocabulary and taught me to always listen and ask questions, you can learn from everyone. Meha and Phoebe taught me more about youth activism that I ever knew, and I can't wait to see all their success in local clubs. One day, I hope to be able to sleep anywhere and everywhere, just like Chloe. Thank you to Ella, our resident theatre girl and soon to be famous actress for always entertaining us- don't forget us when you're on the red carpet! Ally was our resident cool girl from Denver, and I hope to be as cool as her one day. And Jules, Millie, you guys always made me laugh and had a fun story to share with everyone! Thanks for always being timely and ready for our adventures.

Thanks for all the memories! You always have a home in Copenhagen.