Festival Weekend

Stephanie Saba

The United States of America is a country colored by the diversity of its people. It is often referred to as a “melting pot,” and for good reason. There is no official language nor religion, and its citizens hail from heritages spanning distances near and far. On Saturday, our Global Navigators were able to experience Greek culture as they attended the Greek Festival in Saco. Saco boasts a diverse population where many are Greek immigrants. The students enjoyed gyros, souvlaki, baklava, and other Greek cuisine for lunch. They partook in traditional Greek dances, found some fabulous new jewelry at the market, and engaged in lively discussions with those from different backgrounds and schools of thought. After returning to campus and working diligently on their final projects, CIEE staff threw them a surprise pizza and dance party. Students and staff alike had a blast dancing the night away to tunes from the U.S., the Baltic states, and Latin America.
     The festivities continued on Sunday as the students attended the Yarmouth Clam Festival, which is an annual three-day event that raises funds for NGO’s, churches, and schools. Our Global Navigators indulged in corn dogs, fried pickles, and many more festival delights. They hula-hooped, danced, and got bags full of books for just one dollar a bag!! Some even bought old records and were particularly fascinated by an antique car show. The festival had something for everyone to enjoy, and many great memories were made.