Exploring Australia's Aquatic Life & Experiencing the Beauty of Sydney's Renowned Beaches!

Australian Wildlife Conservation From Land to Sea

Jenae Tiki Matikke

Home to over 600 marine animals, Sydney, Australia, is renowned for its beautiful bounty of beaches, rivers, bays, and harbors. Whether whale watching, snorkeling, sunbathing, or enjoying the sunrise and coastal walks, Sydney's proximity to the Pacific Ocean affords visitors and residents a myriad of opportunities to soak up the sun and enjoy the sea!  

Students have enjoyed traveling to some of Sydney's prominent beaches this week, including Shelly, Bronte, Coogee, Manly, and Bondi. Many of these adventures began with a 20-minute Light Rail ride from the community where students stay in Kingsford to Circular Quay and from a ferry in Circular Quay to the beach! Students went whale watching for several hours and saw humpback whales and seals!  They also took a refreshing evening coastal walk between Bondi Beach and Bronte Beach!

Students received a snorkeling lesson and then had the opportunity to snorkel with instructors at Shelly Beach! Some students spotted giant cuttlefish, port jackson sharks, blue grouper, red grouper, and sting rays. Students also participated in a discussion about how littering impacts the ocean, collected litter they found on the beach, and trekked up a steep hill for a hike. Some students enjoyed a relaxing sunbath and swimming at Manly Beach, while others explored Manly's unique eateries and shops. And there's no better way to end a day at the beach than with a delicious treat! Students visited Butter Boy Bakery, where they enjoyed giant cookies and soft-serve ice cream!