Exploring Ancient Echoes: A Journey from History to Waves in Sperlonga

Creative Writing in the Land of Gods & Heroes

T.J. Slancauskas

The sun was already high in the Italian sky when our group of Global Navigators disembarked on their day journey to Sperlonga. As part of the Creative Writing Program, this adventure promised a blend of history and leisure: a visit to the Village of Tiberius and Archeological Museum, followed by a relaxing afternoon at the beach. What awaited them was a day of learning, laughter, and the timeless allure of the Mediterranean. 

Morning at the Villa of Tiberius

Our journey began at the Villa of Tiberius, an ancient Roman villa nestled in the cliffs overlooking the sea. The students were instantly captivated by the villa's majestic ruins and the stories they heard. Guided by their academic professor on the program, Christina, they learned about Emperor Tiberius, who retreated to this luxurious villa during his reign. The villa's sprawling layout, with its terraces and grottoes, spoke of the opulence and strategic thinking of its imperial owner.

Villa of Tiberius Ruins

Walking through the remnants of grand halls and gardens, the students could almost hear the whispers of the past. They imagined Tiberius gazing out at the same azure water, seeking solace and inspiration. The highlight was undoubtedly the grotto, where the famous sculptures depicting scenes from Homer's "Odyssey" were once displayed. These tales of heroism and adventure seemed to come to life as they stood in the very place where ancient Romans marveled at them.

Inside the Grotto at Sperlonga

Discoveries at the Archeological Museum

Next, the students made their way to the Archeological Museum, which houses many of the artifacts discovered at the villa. The museum's collection provided a deeper understanding of the daily lives and artistic achievements of the Romans. Intricate mosaics, finely crafted pottery, and fragments of the original sculptures offered a tangible connection to the past.

The students were particularly fascinated by the detailed replicas of the "Odyssey" sculptures -- the blinding of Polyphemus (picture 1 below), the wrath of Scylla (picture 2 below), and the magic of Circe (picture 3 below). 

The Blinding of Polyphemus
The Wrath of Scylla
The Magic of Circe

Professor Christina explained how these masterpieces were not only artistic treasures but also a means of conveying cultural and political messages. For their daily task, students were asked to create a visual landscape of the stories and characters they encountered from the "Odyssey" while at the Museum. Imaginations were truly ignited by the intricated storytelling captured in marble.

Afternoon Bliss at Sperlonga Beach

After a morning steeped in history, it was time for a change of pace. The students headed to the nearby beach, where golden sands and crystal-clear waters awaited. They quickly swapped their notebooks and phones and for swimsuits and sunglasses, ready to embrace the Mediterranean's inviting embrace. The afternoon was a joyful contrast to the solemnity of the ancient ruins. The students laughed and splashed in the waves, soaked in the sun, and even transformed a fellow Global Navigator into a sand merman. After several hours in the casting glow of the sun and shimmering waves of the ocean, the students boarded the bus back to Rome, carrying sunburn and many memories with them.

Students transforming their fellow navigator into a sand merman.
Swimming in the Ocean While in Sperlonga

For the students, this trip to Sperlonga was more than just a day out; it was a journey through time and a celebration of the present. This was a day where ancient echoes met the laughter of youth -- a day of discovery, both historical and personal, on the shores of Sperlonga.