Engi-nerds in Berlin

Engineering & Innovation

Rosemary Grout

As week one of Engineering and Innovation draws to a close in Berlin, it feels apt to reflect on the packed week we've had! Now that the students are adjusted from jetlag and class is underway, we've had the opportunity to check out what being an engineer in Berlin looks like on a daily basis. 

After some excursions to get acquainted with Berlin and our neighborhood of Kreuzberg--including a city tour, neighborhood tour, and trip to museum Island--we were lucky enough to visit the inside of Trixx Studios, and even test out some of the equipment. Trixx Studios, early on Berlin's electronic music scene, now boasts a clientele of household names, from Frank Ocean to Fleetwood Mac. One of the audio engineers gave us a tour of the facilities and equipment, and then the students were able to get some hands-on experience with recording and manipulating different sounds. 

The next day, we got a taste of the mechanical engineer's day to day, with an exclusive tour of the MotionLap facility, a cutting edge "hard tech" innovation studio. Students hung out for the afternoon, getting to talk to builders about their projects and creative proccesses. 

Over the weekend, we relaxed with a day trip to beautiful Potsdam, often referred to as "the Versailles of Germany." And yes, lots of learning is happening inside the classroom as well-- more on that later!