A Day in Potsdam

Engineering & Innovation

Errol Bareiss

We arrived in Potsdam on Saturday morning and were welcomed by the familiar charm we've seen from Berlin: abundant public transit, impressive architecture, and a friendly calm from all its inhabitants. This place, however, provided a regal atmosphere that set it apart in our travels. We began our outing exploring this aspect directly. 

The Sanssouci Palace, the former summer residence of Prussian kings, left the students in awe. The tour offered a fascinating glimpse into 18th-century Prussian royalty, and they were particularly impressed by the palace's Rococo architecture and the sprawling gardens. Every inch of the place had details upon details of artistry. 

The afternoon city tour provided a well-rounded picture of Potsdam. We explored the historic city center, including the Brandenburg Gate (not to be confused with the famous landmark in Berlin) and then ventured into the gardens. The students learned about Potsdam's rich history, mainly focusing on the contributions of Frederick the Great. 

After gaining a feel for Potsdam, the students were tasked with a scavenger hunt. They had to search the town and find as many picture tasks as possible. While the heat of the day took many straight to the gelato stands, a few pulled through and were able to complete the challenges. The students have become masters of the public transit system here in Germany, so the only thing that truly slowed them down was trying not to stop in every interesting store they found. 

Our students have been immersed in the culture of future development over these past two weeks. Engineering is what pushes us forward, and Berlin makes this happen for all of Germany. But, finding that way forward is made easier and more appreciated once historic context is understood. Potsdam gave us not only that context, but a lot of fun memories along the way.