Empowering Future Leaders: Volunteering at Villa Mahmud Memorial Future Leaders School

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

MacKenzie Kennedy

Our group is excited to be volunteering with Billa Mahmud Memorial Future Leaders School. Founded under a mango tree in 1998,  this school has grown significantly over the years and now provides education to 500 students, ranging from preschool to age 17. Many of these students come from families who cannot afford hidden fees associated with public schools, despite them being nominally free.

Volunteering at Villa Mahmud Memorial has provided our group with invaluable lessons in service and leadership. We have had the privilege of assisting in classrooms, helping with administrative tasks, and engaging in extracurricular activities. Through these experiences, we have seen firsthand the impact of dedicated service. 

One of the most profound aspects of our volunteer work has been our time spent inside the classroom. Assisting teachers with their lessons has given us a deeper appreciation for their educational process. Each day begins with a warm welcome from the children, whose enthusiasm for learning is contagious. We have had the opportunity to assist with various subjects and with various age groups. 

The program participants are building skills that will carry with them long after our time are in Ghana comes to an end. They are learning to be leaders and educators by doing personalized tutoring, grading, planning, instructing, and just having fun with the children. Their ability to adapt, communicate effectively, and inspire others are qualities that will benefit them in any path they choose to follow. More importantly, they will carry with them the understanding that leadership is rooted in service. We want to say a huge thank you to Villa Mahmud Memorial Future Leaders School for inviting us to participate in the work they are doing.