Divining the Future in Taipei - Lungshan Temple

Chinese Language & Taiwanese Culture

Phillip Harmon

A Brief History of Lungshan Temple

Lungshan Temple honors the Bodhisattva 觀音 (Guānyīn), who is devoted to compassion. The temple was originally founded in 1738, and its current version mostly built between 1919 and 1924. In 1945, the temple was bombed and the statue of Guanyin seemingly badly damaged. Monks asked Guanyin more than a dozen times whether the statue should be replaced; she answered a definitive "no" each time. When the statue was cleaned, it was found to need only minor repairs - miraculous considering the ferocity of the bombing.

The architecture of the temple is also unique, featuring a combination of elements. There are some of the only bronze dragon pillars in Taiwan incorporated into the temple, as well as symbolism and deities from many countries and cultures. These statues, for example, wear Japanese pants, Taiwanese shirts, and Dutch hats.

A close-up of architectural features

Many Taipei residents visit the temple to pay respects to Guanyin and other deities with altars and halls throughout the temple, asking questions about life, love, and their future prospects.

Tour of Lunghan Temple

We were divided into more manageable groups and paired with our extremely knowledgeable tour guides. Before entering the temple itself, we learned more details about its history and construction, and some of the architectural nuances present in this temple. 

Students listen to a tour.
More students listen to a tour.

Divination at Lungshan Temple

Guanyin and the many minor deities represented in the temple can be spoken to with the use of divination blocks. In the video below, Alex, our tour guide, explains to Paul and the rest of our program participants how to use these divination blocks.

It seems many of our students had questions to ask...

A student drops wishes into the incense burner.
A third student uses the divination blocks.
Another student uses the divination blocks.
A student uses the divination blocks.

We hope the guidance they received leads to the future they desire!