Day trip to Mt. Takao

Japanese Language & Culture

Patricia Breun

On our open day on Sunday thirteen students decided to join me on a day trip to Mt. Takao.  Located about an hour by train outside of Tokyo (but still within the city limits), it gave us a chance to hike up a mountain (599 meters!). It took us a couple hours to hike up and down partially to a chair lift that took us the rest of the way down.  We enjoyed a leisurely lunch along the way and could visit the temple on the mountain.  Some of us enjoyed some roasted dango (pounded rice with a miso sauce), grape flavored ice cream and other specialties along the way.  On the path there were signs reminding us to use our senses- smell, sight, taste, sound, touch to experience the mountain.  We heard birds, tasted some delicious food and saw so much beauty.  The air smelled fresh and could touch various things to help us remember the special day.  Once we finished our climb we enjoyed a soak at the onsen, a natural hot spring.  Students really enjoyed their first time in an onsen.  We don't have any photos of that, so the students will have to tell you about it.  All of us commented that we felt refreshed and our skin felt smooth and clean.  It was a wonderful day.  Tanoshikatta!