Day One in the Books

Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

Devin S.

After several days of flights, lots of delays, and too many hours on a plane to count, we made it to Botswana! All of the Global Navigators did an amazing job of keeping a positive attitude and chugging along, even if it was a little stressful and we had some last-minute changes. After landing in Botswana, we were picked up from the airport and headed straight to Mokolodi Nature Reserve, which will be our home base for the next couple weeks. The Global Navigators met some crew members and their new teachers at the reserve. While we are all extremely excited to learn more from them, they weren't the only ones to welcome the group to Mokolodi. Another member joined the welcome party, she has four hooves, some black stripes, some white stripes, and a little bit of sass, her name's Alice. This sweet lady let the Global Navigators check "petting a zebra" off their bucket lists. 

After meeting Alice, we left for a two-hour game drive. During the drive, we saw not one or even two white rhinos...but FIVE! We had a chance to snap some wonderful pictures of the rhinos, plus several other species like giraffe, kudu, impala, and ostrich. They also learned some background on all these animals. Did you know there are two different species of rhinos in Botswana? Or that only male kudu have long spiral antlers? Or that ostrich parents take turns guarding their nests? Because we all know now! 

We are all excited to learn more and looking forward to the next couple weeks...of course, we'll keep you updated ;)