A Colossal Day: Exploring Rome's Most Iconic Monuments

Italian Language & Culture

Petie Schill

The Italian Language and Culture program was off to a great start with our first cultural activity: the Roman Forum and the Colosseum, two of Rome’s most iconic and important historical sites. 

We started with the Roman Forum, an area filled with towering ruins of the former social, economic, and political epicenter of Roman society. We wandered through ancient temples, basilicas, arches, and government buildings, imagining walking in the footsteps of emperors, senators, and everyday Roman people. 

Students outside a Roman temple.

We eventually made our way to the viewpoint of the Forum from the top of Palatine Hill. Down below, we spotted vibrant flowers and lush grass among the ruins, with the iconic Roman skyline in the background.

Students at the top of Palatine Hill.

Then, we walked to the nearby Colosseum. It towered above us as we waited in line to enter. Luckily, it didn’t take long until we were inside. We split up into groups so that we could explore, read the historical explanations, and examine the architecture at our own pace. It's one thing to see pictures, but standing beneath this massive structure, imagining the roar of the crowds and the gladiatorial battles that took place here centuries ago, is truly a humbling experience. 

Students inside the Colosseum

At the end, we took a group photo from the outside of the Colosseum before heading back to the CIEE center. Today wasn't just a history lesson; it was a living experience!