CIEE Trip Immerses Students in Leipzig's Symphony of History

Global Entrepreneurship

Anthony Sia

Classroom walls dissolved this weekend as students enrolled in CIEE's German language program embarked on a journey to Leipzig. Fresh from their initial lessons, the students found themselves face-to-face with a living tapestry of German culture and history.

Their first stop was the venerable St. Thomas Church, a sanctuary steeped in centuries of musical tradition. Here, the spirit of Johann Sebastian Bach, who once served as music director, seemed to linger in the very air. Yet, the church's significance transcends the realm of music. In 1539, it became a pivotal stage for religious reform when Martin Luther's sermon marked the official adoption of Protestantism within its walls.

Next, entrepreneur classes came to life as students entered the grand Mädler Passage with its soaring glass roof and expansive four-story passage. Their guide explained how this architectural marvel, built between 1912 and 1914, replaced an earlier complex called Auerbachs Hof. Architect Theodor Kösser envisioned it as a marriage between a prestigious messehaus (exhibition hall) and a shopping arcade – a testament to Leipzig's rich history of trade and commerce.

But what could be more fun than a trip to the zoo? The itinerary cleverly incorporated a visit to the Leipzig Zoo (Zoo Leipzig), a sprawling 26-hectare sanctuary nestled within the Rosental Park, northwest of the city center. Renowned as one of Europe's most species-rich zoos, it boasts over 9,400 animals representing a staggering 890 species. Here, the students were able to put their newfound German vocabulary to the test as they learned about the various animals and their habitats. The zoo undoubtedly provided a welcome respite from the historical immersion, offering a chance to connect with the natural world and witness the wonders of animal diversity.

The day concluded with a Traditional Diner where students exchanged thoughts with each other and their program leaders.