A Choco-Story: The Chocolate Museum of Uxmal, México

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Amanda Anderson

A visit to the interactive, outdoor Choco-Story museum of Uxmal shared with students the history of cacao, including its cultural significance to the Mayan people. Students were able to explore exhibits that share how cacao was harvested and processed, used as currency, and celebrated in religion.  

Students view museum exhibits

After students witnessed a wonderful Mayan ceremony celebrating the God Chaac, we were bestowed many blessings in the form of rain. 

Students watch a Mayan ceremony to honor the God Chaac

A student favorite of this excursion were the exhibits of multiple rescue animals on-site.  Students learned about the importance of monkeys, jaguars, and deer in the Mayan culture. 

Students provide food to monkeys at the museum

Finally, students were able to taste a drink prepared from cacao.  Initially a thick and bitter hot drink, students added different mix-ins to their liking, such as sugar, cinnamon, and chiles. 

Students sample a traditional Maya chocolate drink

Students add mix-ins to their chocolate drink

The day was completed with a trip through the gift shop. Many students purchased chocolates as "gifts for family," but with two weeks left of the program, we will see how much actually makes it back to the States intact!

CIEE students stand as a group in front of Choco-Story