Castillo de Santa Bárbara

Spanish Language & Culture

Ryan VanSant

This center city medieval castle was the perfect location for students to get lost in history and explore an era from pre-Spanish rule to Spanish rule. Our global navigators began the tour with a hike up the mountain, with breathtaking views of the sea to meet our tour guide, Martina. 

We began the tour by explaining some of the history of the castle of Santa Barbara, how it was home to the arabs/moros and became a staple on the control of Alicante. As we continued, we began the exciting part - an escape room geared towards monuments and locations in the castle. 

Students had to solve puzzles, riddles, remember numbers, search high and low for ancient clues that told the stories of the ancient site while the game gradually took us to the highest part of the mountain, la cima. 

Upon arrival at the top of the mountain, we heard a local legend, the story behind the city. It is said there once were two lovers whose names were Cántara and Alí. These two were madly in love but Cántara’s father, the king, wanted her to be wed to another. After her wedding to her father’s choice, Alí was so heartbroken that he jumped from the castle. Three days passed before Cántara heard of the news and, stricken with sorrow, she climbed the mountain and jumped as well. It is said that their love is forever united in the sky above the city whose name they formed. Alí + Cántara = Alicante.