Busy Bees Serve La Colorada Community!

Jennifer Tubbs

Yesterday students had the chance to try their hand at local, artisanal beekeeping! Professional beekeeper and community leader Araceli gave us a talk about the initiative to institute beekeeping as a means to protect and save the farmers' land. Since its inception, three generations of women have dedicated their time to ethically and effectively producing quality honey. Their main goal is to uphold community values and traditions by passing along inherited knowledge to their children. Additionally, the apiary initiative has had wide-reaching health effects. The women who run the apiary have managed to shift their diet and that of their families away from sugar-rich and nutrient-poor foods to healthy alternatives sweetened with honey in place of refined sugar. Lastly, Araceli discussed the importance of bees in the environment, stating that humans could only live for 5 years without their pollinizing power.

Students suited up and got up close and personal with these industrious insects!

This morning, our students arrived at the community kitchen at 4:00 am to make atole and bread to provide a nutrious breakfast for the local children at a fraction of the price. We were so proud of their commitment to service and solidarity. Not to mention their cooking skills! In only a few hours, we were able to make 120 servings of atole and 50 baguettes! 

Now we're going to eat breakfast with the kids and their families, who just arrived at the community center. 

Hasta pronto!