Blue Mountains Field Trip -By Theresia DiPalma

Australian Wildlife Conservation From Land to Sea

Maxine Eisenberg

After much anticipation, we finally embarked on our long-awaited trip to the Blue Mountains. Our first stop was the Featherdale Wildlife Park, where we had the opportunity to pet Kangaroos visit Wombats, Emus, and Cassowaries, and even take pictures with an adorable Koala named Byron. The park had a delightful eucalyptus scent that added to the experience. After about an hour and a half, it was time to say goodbye to our wonderful animal friends and continue our journey.

Our first destination in the Blue Mountains was Katoomba. The students and program leaders were in awe of the breathtaking prehistoric landscape that greeted us at the giant lookout at Echo Point. The Blue Mountains is the second-largest national park in the world, covering over 1,000 square miles and designated a UNESCO World Heritage site. 

We marveled at the prominent peaks of the Three Sisters and learned an anecdote about their misfortune in finding true love, which left them forever embodied in rock yet united. After our first lookout, and maybe some shopping by both students and program leaders, we enjoyed a short picnic and then hiked to the nearby Wentworth Falls, where we viewed the stunning Jamison Valley.

After taking in the amazing landscape, we returned to the bus and arrived at our youth hostel to settle into our rooms. Students went out to grab a bite to eat and view the sunset. We retired for the evening, exhausted yet excited to see what the next day would bring. Could anything top our mountaintop experience?

The next day, after a quick breakfast, we continued our journey to Scenic World. There, we enjoyed a wonderful guided walk with our resident professor, Danielle. We also rode the world's steepest railway, originally used by coal miners. We ascended the cableway and then used the Skyway to experience a bird's-eye view of the ancient forests and Jamison Valley. More shopping ensued at the gift shop.

After Scenic World, we stopped at Leura Township, also known as the Garden Village of the Blue Mountains. Here, we had the opportunity to enjoy lunch and drinks. Leura is a quaint town with beautiful village gardens, a teapot museum, and many charming shops.

We then left Leura, drove back into Sydney, and unpacked and rested. Later in the evening, many of us decided to go see the weekly Sydney fireworks show at Darling Harbour. It was the perfect way to conclude a wonderfully exhilarating trip.

-Theresia DiPalma