Bem vindo a Portugal! Welcome to Portugal!

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Erin Munsie

After a long day of travel, we all finally came together in Portugal!  Traveling by bus from the Lisbon airport to Setúbal, we couldn't wait to see our home for the next three weeks and meet all of the participants!  We have been in orientation, learning how to get around Portugal, what our schedule will look like and getting to know the leaders as well as the other students.  Though it is still early in the program, some wonderful friendships are already starting to form!  We truly have an amazing group of students from all over.

After orientation, we were lucky enough to have our first Portugese class.  From "Olá" to "Bom dia" to "Obrigada" to many other things, we are beginning to dip our toes into the pool of the Portugese langauge!  It makes it easier to learn with such a beautiful backdrop as well. After learning some Portugese, each pod went on a walking tour of Setúbal.  WOW - what  a beautiful city!  From the main city square to all the shops, restaurants and waterfall - we cannot wait to explore more once our soft quarantine is over on Thursday afternoon!   Many students went down to the beach before dinner, soaking up the evening sun and the sound of the crashing waves.  The students can't wait to share their experiences here in Portugal with all of their friends and family back home.