Arrival Day: Awaiting Adventure!

Women for Environmental Action

Jessica Nave

We made it to Costa Rica! Many of us had a long travel day but we pushed through it. We experienced delays due the hurricane but we all made it safe and sound. Once we all made it to San Jose, we were treated to a lovely lunch at a typical Costa Rican restaurant. Students enjoyed the scenic views while they had their first experience with the food. 

After eating to our stomach’s content, we loaded up on our buses and made the trek through the winding roads of Monteverde. Upon arrival, we were greeted with another Costa Rican meal with rice and beans, a staple here in Costa Rica. We ended our day with Annika’s 18th birthday. 

Today, our first official day, we had a tour of the beautiful campus. Students learned about how nothing is wasted here. We are receiving the full farm-to-table experience where students will be able to drink fresh milk from the cows each morning, harvest the vegetables from the gardens for meals, and know that their food scraps do not go to waste! They will either be fed to the friendly pigs or used for compost. 

In their first class, the students were given an overview of what they would be learning and even got interrupted by white face capuchin monkeys outside their window! They were even given a hands-on learning activity where they had to do a scavenger hunt on campus. 

Overall, the first impression has been wonderful and students cannot wait to see what adventure awaits next!