Amazing Start to the Week: Cosmetic Farm, River Testing & Cooking Class

Women for Environmental Action

Akayla anderson

The global navigators of the Women for Environmental Action program were able to apply what they’ve been learning in their STEM course with a visit to Monteverde Natural Cosmetics. During this trip, students learned about the mission, got to smell many of the products used and even got to aid in making soap!  As the visit to the cosmetics farm concluded, students left inspired by the integration of ecosystem services into everyday business practices. In an era where sustainability is paramount, exploring businesses like this farm offers a glimpse into a future where economic success and environmental stewardship go hand in hand. 

Tuesday morning started off with a mini-lesson on water quality and problems within it. Armed with a net, a tray, a jar and a sense of curiosity, they then set out to explore the banks of a nearby river. Students worked in groups to collect water samples and various creatures. They then headed back to the lab to analyze the samples under a microscope and identify their findings! Many were struck by the intricate beauty and resilience of these tiny creatures. 

Students ended the night with a cultural cooking activity! Cooking classes are often a delightful way to immerse oneself in a new culture or cuisine. Global navigators worked with the amazing kitchen staff to make empanadas filled with savory beans and cheese. As we formed our empanadas, they encouraged creativity while ensuring each one was tightly sealed to prevent leaks during frying. The kitchen filled with anticipation as the empanadas were fried to a golden perfection, their tantalizing aroma filling the air.

As students indulged in their creations, they reflected on how food has a remarkable ability to connect us across cultures and create lasting memories. Beyond mastering a new recipe, the cooking class left them with a deeper appreciation for the cultural significance of empanadas.