Service and Leadership Takes on Yucatecan Cuisine

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Josie M.

In addition to their daily workshops and service in the community, students in the Service and Leadership program also participate in cultural activities each afternoon. These activities allow them to connect with the community in Merida and learn about important aspects of the Yucatecan culture. Over their three weeks in Merida, students have made piñatas, decorated macramé hats, gone on an open-air bus tour, and visited the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya. 

On Tuesday, students tried their hand at making three dishes at the Gastronomical Institute of Merida. Under the guidance of professional chefs, students made Lomitos de Valladolid, Chayitas, and Arroz con Leche. Lomitos de Valladolid is a pork dish in a tomato sauce that is simmered and served on tacos. Chayitas is a corn-based dough appetizer topped with tomato sauce. Arroz con Leche is a traditional dessert that contains three types of milk and cinnamon. Students participated in all parts of the preparation from forming and frying the Chayitas to butchering and cooking the meat. To be successful, students had to demonstrate teamwork and communication. Students were trying new techniques in the kitchen and enjoyed sampling their finished products. We hope that students will remember what they learned during this great activity and prepare the dishes for their loved ones in the United States!  

It is hard to believe that are time in Merida is winding down. Students are working on their final projects, spending time with their peers, and preparing to bring lots of knowledge back home to their communities.