The Scientific Community of Sisal

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Josie M.

Often scientists and researchers are perceived as professionals who work behind closed doors in labs, far from the view of the general public. On Tuesday, students had the opportunity to confront the perception and get hands-on experience by contributing to current aquatic ecosystem research here in Yucatan. 

Students woke up bright and early and traveled to Sisal, a beach town about an hour and a half northwest of Yucatan. There, they visited the organization Reciclando Dunas (Recycling Dunes). The research facility that Reciclando Dunas operates out a facility affiliated with the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. Students began by learning abound the mission of the organization. In addition to direct work preserving the dunes and coastlines of Sisal, there is also a huge emphasis on educating the general public about the dangers of coastal pollution and biodiversitiy in the region. 

Reciclando Dunas encourages everyone to become active in the scientific community in Sisal through use of smartphone applications. Students downloaded the iNaturalist app and learned that taking photos of plants and animals would contribute to the biodiversity database, helping scientists monitor the biodiversity and species on the coast. Students then set out to explore the coastline and upload photos to the iNaturalist app.

While exploring we learned that protecting sea turtles is an important focus area for the organization. We observed the tracks on the sand that mother turtles follow to lay their eggs at night. Dogs present a huge risk to the sea turtle nests and Reciclando Dunas operates educational campaigns to notify the public about the dangers imposed. After uploading many pictures, students were able to view the 92,000 specimens on hand, in addition to the greenhouses. 

This non-traditional service activity demonstrated to students that everyone can contribute to the scientific advancements and advocate for scientific projects within their community.