How Are Gap Year Abroad Host Families Screened?

High School Gap Year

Staying with a host family is an exciting opportunity to connect with the local culture while on your CIEE Gap Year Abroad. Host families offer a welcoming environment and an immersive experience as you navigate your way around a new country. But how are host families selected for study abroad participants? 

For your peace of mind, here's a rundown of how they're chosen for gap year abroad students and why host families enrich the study abroad experience. 

High school students posing with host family in Madrid

What Is a Gap Host Family? 

A gap host family is a local family that welcomes students to stay with them for the duration of their study abroad experience. Homestays and host families can take many forms and may not always be a traditional family unit of parents and siblings. They can live in the center of a big city or outside of big cities, in apartments or homes, and are meant to offer a realistic glimpse of how locals live.  

One common question people have is do host families get paid for exchange students? Generally, host families may get paid a small amount that covers the living costs associated with hosting gap year students, though this can vary depending on the location. 

How Gap Host Families Are Selected 

As for how to be a host family for international students, it's not an easy process! Those interested in hosting must go through a thorough selection and vetting process. 

Host families are carefully identified, interviewed in-person and vetted by CIEE in-country staff. 

To join CIEE’s host family network, they must meet the following criteria: 

• They must be 18 years and older. 
  • They must pass background checks where permitted by local law.  
  • They must have a home that meets CIEE standards for comfortable and safe living. 

Not only must the host family meet all the above requirements, but they must also demonstrate a sincere interest in sharing their culture and language with participants.  

One important thing to note is that CIEE does not generally require host families to speak English; instead, they are encouraged to help participants learn and speak the local language.  

Students meeting their host families on arrival day in Barcelona

What to Expect When You Live with a Gap Host Family 

When you first settle into your new home with your host family, you'll undoubtedly experience a period of adjustment. You'll have a lot to learn, not only about your hosts but also about how they live day to day! 

As you adjust, make sure you: 

• Make an effort to get to know your host family, and don't be afraid to ask questions  
  • Arrive with an open mind to adapt to their way of life, local foods, etc. 
  • Respect their home and their house rules. 
  • Consider bringing a small gift of gratitude that's unique to where you're from. 

With a good-humored attitude and an open mind, your adjustment will go much smoother.  

The Benefits of a Homestay on Your Gap Year Abroad 

Homestays offer numerous benefits and enrich any gap year experience. One of the most important benefits of staying with a host family is the cultural and language immersion it provides. Your time with your hosts will open your eyes to local family dynamics and new language forms. 

Your host family is also an invaluable resource. They are there to provide support, comfort and advice while you adjust to your new home. When local cultural norms cause confusion, they offer a local's perspective to help you understand cultural differences.  

Not to mention, most students leave their study abroad experience having formed strong bonds with their host family members that can last a lifetime. 

High school students eating with their homestay family

Your Safety Is CIEE’s Number One Priority Abroad 

Cultural immersion is important, but so is your well-being. Participant safety is the number one priority for our various CIEE Gap Year Abroad program options. Every program enforces strict host family requirements to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience.  

CIEE programs also feature 24/7 in-country emergency support, on-site CIEE staff and regular safety audits.  

For more information, see CIEE’s in-depth safety protocols.  

Experience the Benefits of Staying with a Host Family on Your Gap Year Abroad 

Homestay experiences offer an incredible opportunity to broaden your horizons and adopt a global mindset at the comfort of a second home! 

Schedule a call with a CIEE Enrollment Coordinator to learn more about CIEE’s Gap Year Abroad programs.