Why CIEE?

By: Alexa Levy

In my freshman year of college, I embarked on a unique journey as a spring admit at Tulane University, and fate led me to an extraordinary opportunity: studying abroad for my first semester. Rome, Italy, became my classroom, and the experience proved to be nothing short of transformative. The immersive nature of my time abroad not only bolstered my confidence but also fostered a sense of independence that would stay with me for a lifetime. Amid the cobblestone streets and ancient ruins, I forged connections that created lifelong friendships.

However, every adventure comes with its own set of challenges. Despite the enchanting backdrop of Rome, the study abroad program I initially joined lacked organization, clarity, and, most concerningly, a sense of safety when compared to the standards set by CIEE. CIEE completely changed my perception on the study abroad process for various reasons. From the outset, the application process was a model of transparency. Clear guidelines, a well-defined timeline, and a wealth of resources streamlined the journey. CIEE went above and beyond, assigning counselors to guide us through every step. Regular updates ensured that applicants and their respective institutions remained synchronized, eliminating the potential pitfalls of miscommunication regarding requirements and deadlines.

Moreover, CIEE's curriculum catered to students across various majors, offering a diverse range of courses. As an architecture major, navigating study abroad while earning transferable credits proved challenging. CIEE, however, provided a lifeline where all four courses I took seamlessly transferred back to my home institution, allowing me to progress toward my degree while gaining irreplaceable global experiences. The initial uncertainties of the application process, including accommodation details, activity plans, and teacher assignments, dissolved upon arrival. CIEE exceeded expectations, providing top-notch amenities such as in-dorm laundry, a fully equipped gym, and a rooftop pool. The caliber of educators surpassed my expectations, and the multiple free weekly activities added an extra layer of enrichment to the experience.

CIEE demonstrated a genuine commitment to addressing students' needs, creating an environment that stood out in my academic journey. The meticulous planning, coupled with the responsive support system, elevated my study abroad experience to unparalleled heights. I am so grateful that I choose CIEE for my study abroad experience, one that I will never forget… but this time in the best way possible.