What to do in Seoul as a Kpop Fan

Martina A.

Similar to myself, I know many people’s interests in coming to Korea has stemmed from K-pop. So, here is a list of what you cannot miss out on if you love K-pop!

FAN CAFES

Photo for blog post What to do in Seoul as a Kpop Fan

One of the things I will miss the most about being in Korea are the different cafes that occur on a weekly basis for idols. Whether that be because it is an idol’s birthday, an idol group's anniversary or comeback, there is always an event happening! The cafes tend to have package deals where you can buy a drink and then get freebies along with it, such as pictures, key chains, photo cards and etcetera. Every corner of the cafe is decorated with photos of the idol(s) to celebrate whatever is going on. This is such a fun way to be an ultimate fan and celebrate with people who love something you love as well.

KOREAN MUSIC SHOWS

Going to see idols at a Korean music show is a cool way to participate in idol culture as a foreign K-pop fan. To enter to see shows such Music bank, Inkigayo, or Mcountdown, you need to be up to date on the idol’s schedule so you can apply to attend. The music shows are technically free to attend because it’s a raffle where people are selected to see the show. However, to enter the raffle you must buy an album and the idol’s fan club membership. In addition, the more albums you buy the more likely you will be chosen to attend the show; there are fans who buy up to hundreds of albums to win a spot. To win a spot is a fortunate opportunity as a fan because the shows are an exclusive event, where you cannot record anything when you get there. Nonetheless, it can be challenging to secure a spot at these shows, but for Music Bank you can still see your favorite idol if you plan. If you arrive on the day of the show, you can see the stars walk into the Music Bank building. Newer groups tend to stay and wave for a couple minutes before going in, while older groups quickly walk in. This is a way to still see an idol that you admire even if it's for thirty seconds.

MYEONGDONG UNDERGROUND MALL

Myeongdong underground mall is a K-pop’s fan paradise as there are countless stores with K-pop related knick knacks everywhere. They have posters, light sticks, photocards, albums, and more! They are much cheaper than they would be if bought in America, so I highly recommend visiting some of the stores while in Korea. In addition, the Myeongdong area has many K-pop stores all around, not just in the underground mall; with many stores in this neighborhood having older albums and more hidden/rare gems.

GANGNAM

Gangnam is Seoul’s more upscale neighborhood where it houses some of the big K-pop companies such as SM entertainment and Hybe! So, there are many K-pop locations to check out in this area. One of the main locations I suggest would be checking out K- star road, which is the K-pop hall of fame. The street has model bears that have the different logo prints represent the most iconic idol groups such as BTS, SHINee, Girls Generation, EXO and more! 

I hope when you are in Seoul you decide to check these places out!