Traveling While in France

Liberal Arts

CIEE Rennes

I have been in the CIEE 8-week program in Rennes for 6 weeks, and I can say without a doubt that the weekend trips have been my favorite part of my time here. It invigorates me with a sense of independence and excitement when I am able to take trips on my own or with friends outside of Rennes. During the program, I have taken weekend trips to nearby cities, such as Angers, Versailles and Paris, La Rochelle, and Caen, not including the excursions organized by CIEE. Each trip to a new city has given me the opportunity to plan my weekend with exactly what I want to do and to meet new people along the way.

If you plan on traveling within France while you are abroad, I would recommend using the bus system (such as Ouibus or Flixbus). The trains in Europe have become increasingly expensive, and financially, it is usually a better deal to take buses. This is unless you buy a Eurail pass and are planning on traveling far distances every weekend. Buses can be easily booked online and are usually relatively comfortable with outlets and Wi-Fi. Plus, you get to see the French countryside at a quick pace!

For ideas on where to travel, it’s a good idea to ask your host family, your professors, or other French locals. They will have insightful opinions on where to travel that will be interesting and not too touristy.

Overall, traveling within France is not too pricey if you’re savvy with the way you spend your money, and if you want to sightsee without paying fares, I always take myself on a walking tour of every church and cathedral I can find. Happy traveling!

Sarah Neal

Loyola University New Orleans