Top 5 Italian Holidays and Traditions

Business + Culture

Ever wondered what it's like to celebrate like an Italian? Spoiler alert: It's not just about pizza and pasta. When you mix ancient traditions, mouth-watering food, and a dash of Italian flair, you get an unforgettable Italian holiday experience. Imagine epic parades, parties, and feasts that bring everyone together, creating stories you’ll be telling long after the party’s over. 

Intrigued? We thought so! Settle in as we explore the top holiday traditions in Italy that you won't want to miss! 

What are the Top 5 Italy National Holidays? 

Italy has tons of noteworthy holidays, but we’ll limit our list to the top five. If you’re thinking about studying abroad in Italy, be sure to take note, as these top Italian holidays and traditions are guaranteed to make you want to pack your bags and say “ciao to an adventure!  

florence sunset study abroad countryside

Read More: Best Study Abroad Programs in Italy 

Italian Holiday #1: New Year’s Eve (Capodanno) 

New Year's Eve, known as “Capodanno” in Italy, is a jubilant affair that marks the transition into a new year with style and enthusiasm. Expect energetic street parties, dazzling fireworks displays over iconic landmarks, and an atmosphere charged with excitement and anticipation. 

The celebrations often begin with a festive dinner shared amongst friends and family, where traditional dishes like lentils (symbolizing prosperity) and cotechino (a rich pork sausage) are enjoyed alongside regional specialties and sparkling prosecco. As midnight approaches, the streets come alive with music, dancing, and laughter, as locals and visitors alike gather in piazzas and along riverbanks to count down to the new year. The spirit of unity and hope for the future permeates the air, creating a sense of camaraderie that transcends cultural boundaries. 

Italian Holiday #2: Easter (Pasqua) 

Easter in Italy, or "Pasqua," is a vibrant celebration that combines deep-rooted traditions with lively festivities. The week leading up to Easter, known as "Settimana Santa" (Holy Week), is filled with colorful parades, passionate processions, and elaborate religious ceremonies. Picture yourself standing in the historic streets of Rome or Florence, watching locals in traditional costumes carry beautifully decorated statues of saints, all while the air is filled with the sounds of hymns and the aroma of delicious street food. 

On Easter Sunday, the excitement reaches its peak with a feast that would make any foodie’s heart race. Italians pull out all the stops with a spread featuring lamb, savory pies, and a variety of sweets, including the beloved "colomba" cake, which is shaped like a dove. But the fun doesn't stop there – Easter Monday, or "La Pasquetta," is a day for picnics and outdoor adventures. Gather your new friends, pack a basket with local treats, and head to the countryside or a nearby park to soak up the springtime sun. 

milan study abroad students cathedral

Read More: Best Places to Study Abroad in Italy 

Italian Holiday #3: Ferragosto 

Looking for the ultimate summer holiday in Italy? Say hello to Ferragosto! Celebrated annually on August 15, Ferragosto is one of the many public holidays in Italy. Originally rooted in ancient Roman times, this holiday marks the Assumption of Mary and has evolved into a nationwide celebration of summer.  

Cities and towns across Italy come alive with spirited parades, lively music, and spectacular fireworks that light up the night sky. Whether you’re soaking up the sun on the stunning beaches of the Amalfi Coast or exploring the charming villages in the Italian countryside, Ferragosto is a time for fun, relaxation, and pure Italian bliss. 

Italian Holiday #4: Carnevale 

Carnevale, Italy's exuberant carnival celebration, is a time when cities across the country burst into colorful life. The festivities typically begin in February, with Venice's Carnevale being the most famous, where the city's winding canals and ancient bridges serve as the backdrop for elaborate masquerade balls and stunning parades of masked figures. Each region of Italy puts its own spin on Carnevale, from the stunning floats of Viareggio's parade to the historical pageantry of Ivrea's Battle of the Oranges. It's a spectacle that transports participants back in time while also embracing contemporary creativity and flair. 

During Carnevale, streets are filled with music, laughter, and the irresistible scent of traditional treats like “frittelle” and “galani,” sweet pastries enjoyed during this indulgent period before Lent.  

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Italy 

Italian Holiday #5: La Festa della Repubblica 

One of the major national holidays in Italy is La Festa della Repubblica, or Republic Day. This holiday is celebrated on June 2 each year as it commemorates the day in 1946 when Italians voted to abolish the monarchy and establish a republic.  

Think of grand military processions, colorful flag displays, and traditional performances that highlight the country's unity and democratic spirit. It's a festive occasion where locals and visitors alike come together to celebrate Italian culture and heritage. 

study abroad italy florence student

What is the Most Important Holiday in Italy? 

Christmas, also known as Natale, is the most important holiday in Italy. The festive spirit kicks off on December 8 with the Day of Immaculate Conception, an Italy holiday when Italians decorate their homes and cities with twinkling lights and elaborate nativity scenes, or "presepi." As Christmas Eve approaches, the excitement builds. Families gather for a grand feast known as "La Vigilia," featuring a variety of fish dishes, pasta, and delicious desserts like "panettone" and "pandoro." Midnight Mass is a cherished tradition, and even if you're not religious, the atmosphere in the cathedrals is magical.  

Christmas Day is all about enjoying time with family and friends, exchanging gifts, and indulging in more incredible food. If you're lucky, you'll get to experience "La Befana" on January 6, when a friendly witch delivers sweets and presents to children. 

Experience Italian Holidays and Traditions for Yourself! 

As you plan your study abroad adventure in Italy, these dynamic Italian national holidays offer a glimpse into the country's rich culture and traditions. Whether you're captivated by the festive spirit of Carnevale, moved by the religious significance of Easter, or swept up in the excitement of Ferragosto, each celebration promises unforgettable experiences.  

From savoring traditional foods to joining lively parades and exploring historical sites, Italy holidays provide a gateway to deeper cultural immersion and lifelong memories. Embrace the opportunity to participate in these engaging festivities and discover firsthand why Italy is not just a destination, but a journey of discovery and celebration you’ll cherish for years to come. 

EXPLORE ITALY PROGRAMS