Sustainability and the Environment: "The Last Lecture"

Sustainability + the Environment

Karen Masters

Well okay, hold on, it's only the last lecture before the adventurers leave for their field trip, not the last lecture of all time, so don't get all excited. But what was special about this day was that Sam the TA gave the lecture! Isn't that cool?

Here's proof if you didn't believe me

And here's a little video if you're curious about how wind-power works or anything like that:

In this lecture, the adventurers learned about the pros and cons of wind power, which was particularly topical, seeing as how they were going to be visiting a couple wind farms on their first day of the field trip. They learned that wind power is a good alternative to messier, crazier forms of power production, but it has its downsides as well, such as noise pollution and sometimes making bats' lungs collapse (it has to do with pressure changes; its weird, I know.) But seeing as how wind power makes up close to 10% of all the global energy produced, we really better decide how we feel about it. That's exactly why these adventurers were heading to the wind farms Sunday. 

After Sam finished his sweet lecture, the adventurers spread out to work on the final drafts of their internship proposals, and to enjoy their last few days at the study center before throwing a loaf of bread and a pound of tea (and, you know, some clothes and books and stuff) into their old bags and hopping the back fence.