Sustainability and the Environment: "Erica's Internship Report"

Sustainability + the Environment

Karen Masters

I spent my internship working with Humberto Brenes and Elieth Coto, the owners of a small sewing shop called Taller Punctata. This business specializes in sustainable methods of repairing and creating garments for the local community. The focus of my internship was to create a new line of products and to assess and improve their marketing strategies.

My work began over 300 kilometers south of Monteverde in the indigenous community called Boruca, where a group of women use plants to dye textiles and yarn. The leader of this handiwork is a woman named Marina, who I met with to learn more about the dyeing process. When Doña Marina was growing up, the Boruca relied on farming to support their community. A couple decades ago, she, along with a group of women in the community, discovered that they could support themselves through their knowledge of plants and traditional crafts. Their work and success inspired a renewed interest in traditional art, and with this new source of income, the Boruca were able to address other lost aspects of their culture, such as their language.

I brought with me to Boruca cotton fabric for Doña Marina to dye. When I returned to Monteverde with the fabric, Elieth began sewing new products and I began developing a production and marketing plan for them. I talked to tourists, locals, and several different businesses to gauge the demand for this type of product, and also used Facebook and their website to spread awareness about it. Monteverde was a great location to work in because of the high concentration of hotels and businesses that specialize in eco-tourism. The overall response to the Boruca-dyed products was very positive amongst both business and the public, and I believe that both the Boruca women and Taller Punctata have many opportunities to expand their markets in this location.
I was drawn to this internship because it combined many of my interests with opportunities that I haven’t had before, and one aspect that I had very little experience with was marketing. I learned a lot about how to assess and create effective marketing strategies, and gained a strong understanding of the different actors and materials involved in the production process of these goods. I also learned about the varying needs and priorities of local businesses depending on their size, number of employees, and commitment to sustainability. And finally, after many interviews and phone conversations, I gained confidence in approaching and communicating with people in Spanish.

Coming into this internship, I was slightly hesitant about using phrases such as “indigenous-made” or “made by a group of indigenous women” in my marketing. I didn’t want customers to view these products as merely a way to support a marginalized subset of the population, but rather as high-quality products produced by talented, self-sustaining businesswomen/artists. Working with Elieth and Humberto, however, made me forget this hesitation. Their integrity and commitment to running an ethical business is evident in every decision they make, and I have no doubt that their partnership with the Boruca will be fair for both the consumers and producers involved. My proudest accomplishment is being able to play a role in connecting these business, and I believe that my greatest contribution was finding companies in Monteverde that are eager to support them as they grow.