Spain vs. Argentina: Which is Better for Study Abroad?

Interested in a Spanish study abroad adventure but need help figuring out where to go? We have an option for you: Look at Spain vs. Argentina! Study abroad programs in both countries offer incredible insight into local culture, the chance to enhance your Spanish language learning skills, and the trip of a lifetime exploring countless landmarks, natural wonders, and more. 

Let’s dive in!  

Spain vs. Argentina: An Overview  

Spain and Argentina are unique countries packed with long-standing histories, traditions, and contemporary cultures. To help you decide which study abroad programs make the most sense for you when comparing Argentina vs. Spain, we’ll provide a general overview of these two spectacular locations! 

Both countries’ populations are comparable, with Spain’s population at 47.78 million and Argentina’s at 46.23 million. A neat fact for you: Buenos Aires, Argentina’s capital and the home of CIEE’s Argentina study abroad programs, is considered Latin America’s Paris, with many locals and visitors often citing the European vibe of the city based on architecture, cuisine, and more. So, keep this in mind as you compare Argentina vs. Spain; there might be a few more similarities between the two than meets the eye!  

Location-wise, Spain vs. Argentina varies quite a bit – while Spain is in Europe, near northern Africa, Argentina is way below the equator in South America. Both countries are surrounded by water, with Argentina’s eastern border on the South Atlantic Ocean and Spain near the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean, including the Balearic Sea, Bay of Biscay, and the Alboran Sea. So, depending on if you visit Argentina vs. Spain to study abroad, you’re likely in for some spectacular water views!  

The cuisine in both countries is out of this world. In fact, you might’ve heard of some of the staple dishes below that originated in these respective countries. Talk about the influence of food!  

Spain 

• Paella: Savory rice dish served with different proteins and vegetables  
  • Gazpacho: A soup known for its rich flavors and simplicity  
  • Jamón serrano: A cured ham pork that undergoes a lengthy preparation for its deliciousness 
  • Gambas al ajillo: A delectable seafood dish  
  • Tapas: While not a single dish, tapas are small, savory appetizers or snacks; they typically include breads and meat, seafood, and sautéed vegetables 

Argentina  

• Asado: A type of barbecue with wonderfully prepared meats   
  • Chimichurri: A delicious sauce that’s used on almost every Argentinian meal  
  • Dulce de leche: A delightful dessert created by slowly heating sugar and milling it over several hours to create its caramelized consistency.  
  • Milanesa: A delectable way to prepare meats using breadcrumbs and eggs 
  • Provoleta: A baked cheese dish that can go on just about anything!  

Trust us when we say there will be plenty of dishes, restaurants, and cafés to try when you study abroad in Spain or Argentina!  

Another topic that comes up often when students assess Spain vs. Argentina for study abroad is safety. CIEE’s study abroad programs in Argentina take place in the country’s capital, Buenos Aires.  

The capital city is considered safe for tourists and others, although taking reasonable precautions in any city, no matter where you are, is always a smart idea. Certain parts of the city are best avoided at nighttime, but again, take similar safeguards as you would when traveling through New York City or a similar American city. Other parts of the country experience higher crime rates; any travel beyond Buenos Aires should be discussed with an on-site CIEE staff member.  

Like Argentina, Spain is considered generally safe. When traveling in and around Spain, take normal precautions just as you would when traveling throughout the United States. This includes keeping your personal belongings on your person, avoiding traveling alone, especially at night, always informing a CIEE staff member or friend of your whereabouts, and exercising reasonable caution toward people you don’t know. Spain is considered safer than the United States!  

If you have any other questions about safety during a CIEE study abroad program, visit our Health, Safety & Security page or contact us directly.  

Okay, we’ve covered a lot about Argentina vs. Spain  –  up next, Spanish in both exciting destinations!  

students looking mediterranean sea spain

What are the Differences Between Argentinian vs Spain Spanish?  

While both Argentina and Spain widely communicate in Spanish, there are different types and dialects of the language throughout the countries. Think of English in the United States – different accents and idioms exist depending on where you are, most distinctly in the American south. Pretty cool stuff, right?  

The official languages in Spain are Spanish and Castilian Spanish. Other communities throughout the country also speak Catalan, Galician, and Basque. The official languages in Argentina are Spanish and Rioplatense Spanish. So, as you can see, there are different Spanish dialects in both countries.  

Read More: Top 10 Spanish Slang Words and Phrases You Need to Know  

Argentina Spanish vs. Spain Spanish can differ in verbiage and overall vocabulary quite noticeably. While native Spanish speakers in both countries can likely understand each other, non-native speakers may have difficulty differentiating between the two.  

Read More: Top 20 Argentinian Slang Words and Phrases You Must Know 

Like any language, there are substantial differences in slang, tonalities, and accents, but the core of the language is the same. Learning Spanish in Spain vs. Argentina won’t change your learning experience – it will still be an exciting challenge regardless of where you are!  

argentina student abroad food

Read More: The 6 Best Places to Learn Spanish Abroad  

Study Abroad in Spain  

A Spain study abroad program is the experience of a lifetime. CIEE’s study abroad programs span several Spanish cities, including Seville, Madrid, Barcelona, Alcalá de Henares, Palma de Mallorca, and Alicante. No matter where you decide to jet off to, you’ll dive deep into rich cultures and histories, explore celebrated figures, feast your eyes on both spectacular natural views and man-made ones, and take courses that will spark your curiosity in just about any subject you can think of.  

Is Spain a Good Place to Study Abroad?  

Spain isn’t just a good place to study abroad; it’s an excellent one. Let these fast facts listed below speak for themselves!  

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Spain  

Fast Facts About Spain 

Spain is packed with fascinating facts. Check out some of them below:  

• Climate: Spain has a Mediterranean climate, with hot, dry summers and rainy winters, while the temperatures remain relatively mild all year long  
  • Location: Located in southwestern Europe and on the Iberian Peninsula, Spain is considered part of Europe but is also near Northern Africa  
  • Currency: The Euro  
  • Airport: Spain has many airports, but the busiest international airport is the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas in Madrid 
  • Local Attraction: Barcelona’s Basílica de la Sagrada Familia is an absolute marvel.  
  • Bonus Fact: Spain is the world’s top provider of olive oil 

Best Study Abroad Programs in Spain  

We offer a ton of Spain study abroad programs – mainly because there are so many fabulous cities where our programs take place! We’ll list just a few here, but make sure to check out all of our programs. You’ll be blown away.  

Your adventure in Spain awaits! Take a look through more of these exciting study abroad programs today.  

alicante spain students abroad

EXPLORE SPAIN PROGRAMS 

Study Abroad in Argentina   

Now that we’ve covered Spain, let’s explore what an Argentina study abroad program involves! Our country and study abroad program overviews will be especially helpful as you narrow down your Spain vs. Argentina options.  

Read More: Eat, Drink, Explore: Buenos Aires 

Is Argentina a Good Place to Study Abroad?  

It’s a resounding YES! Argentina is a fantastic place to study abroad. Taking place in the country’s capital, Buenos Aires, you’ll be busy in this exciting metropolis known for its renowned arts community, diverse mix of cultures and people, extraordinary Patagonia region beyond the capital, and lively soccer (fútbol) culture. While you explore Argentina, you’ll take classroom learning to the next level with cultural excursions that will help you deepen your understanding of the country’s history, cultures, and more.    

It's safe to say that studying abroad in Argentina is the experience of a lifetime!  

Fast Facts About Argentina  

Argentina is quite interesting – these fast facts below highlight just a few really cool things about the country.  

• Climate: Keep in mind that the climate will vary greatly depending on where you are in Argentina but in Buenos Aires, your main study abroad location, the capital experiences primarily a humid subtropical climate (don’t forget your sunscreen) 
  • Location: Argentina is located in the southern half of South America, and Buenos Aires rests on the country’s western shore of the Río de la Plata  
  • Currency: Argentine peso   
  • Airport: The Ezeiza International Airport in Buenos Aires is Argentina’s main international airport   
  • Local Attraction: The Teatro Colón is a magnificent theater in Buenos Aires 
  • Bonus Fact: Tango dancing originated in Argentina’s capital 

What a dynamic place!  

Best Study Abroad Programs in Argentina  

Our Argentina study abroad programs make for an incredible adventure. Take a look at some of them below:  

buenos aires argentina students class activity

EXPLORE ARGENTINA PROGRAMS  

Should I Study Abroad in Spain or Argentina?   

We’ve covered a lot when it comes to studying abroad in Spain vs. Argentina, but the final decision comes down to you!  

A great place to start is considering both your academic and career goals. If there’s a particular study abroad program that includes your dream course curriculum, go with that one! If you’ve always wanted to learn more about South American culture, head to Argentina. On the other hand, if there are particular landmarks in Spain you’ve been itching to see, choose a Spanish city for your study abroad journey.  

The good news is Spain and Argentina are both excellent places to study abroad. The bad news is that it makes your choice even more complicated. But you got this. Do a little more digging on your own to see which country makes the most sense for you, and just know you’ll have the time of your life no matter what you decide!  

SEARCH ALL PROGRAMS