Spain Celebrations: Top 5 Holidays in Spain

Business + Culture

Let’s talk about Spain, where the sun shines brightly, the tapas are endless, the culture is electric, and the celebrations in Spain are plentiful. Whether you’re snacking on late-night churros and chocolate in Madrid or marveling at Gaudí’s masterpieces in Barcelona, Spain offers an experience that is sure to awaken all your senses. It’s no wonder why this country is one of the most popular destinations among college students studying abroad. 

Famous for its vibrant and diverse celebrations where every holiday is a blend of culture, Spain is full of rich history and endless fun. From wild street parties to solemn processions, Spanish festivals offer a unique glimpse into the country's rich heritage. 

Not sure if Spain is the right place for you to study abroad? Don’t worry – this article will seal the deal. Grab your virtual passport and discover why this dynamic country and its many incredible holidays and festivals make it the ultimate place to celebrate life. ¡Vamos! 

What are Major Celebrations in Spain? 

Let’s dive into the top five holidays celebrated in Spain that you absolutely must experience when you study abroad in this incredible country! 

Read More: Best Places to Study Abroad in Spain 

Spain Celebration #1: La Tomatina 

Ever dreamed of being part of the world’s largest food fight? Welcome to La Tomatina! Held annually on the last Wednesday of August in the town of Buñol, this festival sees thousands of people from around the globe hurling overripe tomatoes at each other. It's messy, it’s fun, and it’s a must-do for thrill-seekers. Remember to wear old clothes and goggles – you’ll thank us later! 

palma de mallorca students abroad

Spain Celebration #2: San Fermín (Running of the Bulls) 

Ready for an adrenaline rush? Head to Pamplona in July for the week-long San Fermín festival. This legendary event is known for the Running of the Bulls, where brave (or crazy) participants sprint ahead of a dozen bulls through the city's streets. While you likely won’t participate in the running, the festivities are an incredible spectacle, from entertaining parades to authentic Spanish music to colorful fireworks. 

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Spain 

Spain Celebration #3: Las Fallas 

Valencia lights up in March for Las Fallas, a fiery festival that combines art, satire, and pyrotechnics. Gigantic, colorful sculptures called "fallas" are constructed and then dramatically burned on the last night of the festival. The city also hosts celebratory parades, photogenic fireworks, and traditional music, creating a vibrant and unforgettable atmosphere. 

las fallas spain abroad

Spain Celebration #4: Feria de Abril  

Seville’s Feria de Abril is a week-long celebration that starts two weeks after Easter. Picture a fairground filled with flamenco dancers, traditional costumes, horse parades, and casetas (private tents) where locals and visitors alike enjoy tapas and dance the night away. The fair’s lively and colorful environment makes it a true highlight of Spanish celebrations in Spain. 

Read More: Your Go-To Spain Study Abroad Packing List for Every Season 

Spain Celebration #5: Carnival 

Carnival in Spain is a dazzling celebration marked by elaborate costumes, lively parades, and non-stop parties. The most famous Carnivals take place in Santa Cruz de Tenerife and Cádiz. Santa Cruz’s Carnival is renowned for its spectacular queen election gala and vibrant street parties, while Cádiz is known for its humorous and satirical performances. Both cities transform into epicenters of joy and revelry, making Carnival a must-see event. 

carnival abroad spain seville

What is Spain's Biggest Celebration? 

Among all these spectacular celebrations from Spain, the biggest celebration is arguably Semana Santa. This deeply significant religious event, held during the week leading up to Easter, features grand processions with elaborate floats depicting scenes from the Passion of Christ. Cities like Seville and Málaga come alive with somber yet majestic parades, where participants dressed in traditional robes carry intricate pasos (elaborate floats) through the streets. The haunting music, fervent prayers, and devout atmosphere create an unparalleled experience that reflects the profound Catholic heritage of Spain.  

Semana Santa is not just a celebration; it is a deeply spiritual and cultural immersion that captivates both locals and visitors alike. 

Take Your Studies to Spain 

Now that you know about Spain’s top five celebrations, it’s time to study abroad in Spain! From Barcelona to Palma de Mallorca, CIEE Study Abroad offers 40+ programs in 6+ locations around Spain. Whether you’re interested in gaining real-world world experience on a summer internship in Alicante or want to study engineering in Madrid, we have a program to help make Spain study abroad a reality!   

EXPLORE SPAIN PROGRAMS