Random Obscure Things to Know to (Potentially) Avoid Culture Shock

Kierra C.

Because I researched religiously on what life was like here in South Korea for both native Koreans and foreigners, I’d like to say I managed to avoid some of the worst feelings of culture shock so far. Still, there’s only so much one can do to prepare themselves for the actual experience. Since I’ve been here, I have spotted some things that are very different from where I come from, whether they be things I wish were already implemented back home or things I’m just not used to, nor will I probably ever get used to them. Here is an uncorrelated list of random things about Korea I’ve spotted that practically sent me into a loop when I first experienced it.

TRAFFIC

Oh my god. The traffic here is quite literally the most bizarre thing I’ve seen in my entire life (cue the rant). I haven’t been outside of the US before, and the closest thing to intense traffic I’ve ever witnessed was New York City during Thanksgiving break. But yeah, this is the thing that shocked me the most, and I’m still baffled watching how drivers act on the road. The bus drivers here book it like their rent was due yesterday, the taxis drive like a bat out of hell, and the delivery scooters, oh the scooters, are the sole bane of my existence. I’m fully convinced that one step across a crosswalk or an alley will be my last. A lot of drivers here tend to be a little impatient and they will honk at both cars and pedestrians. And you most likely don’t have the right of way, they will not slow down for you. No wonder it’s a rule for CIEE students to not rent cars and drive during the program because you do NOT have to tell me twice. You will not catch me driving on these roads ever in my lifetime.

On the bright side, public transportation here is amazing, and CHEAP. If the subway cars or buses aren’t full, I find the long rides anywhere to be very therapeutic. My friends and I took a very relaxing two-and-a-half-hour bus ride to Pyeongtaek for black hair products for only 5,000 won! There are a also lot of things within walking distance, so you can also just opt for taking a calm stroll through the district. 

Restaurant Etiquette

Dining here is actually very different. In fast food and cafe settings, most of them have kiosks to order from (some even have an English option!). If you have to order in person, just memorize what to need to say. Most of the items you order are English loanwords and the cashiers are pretty nice and understanding! They’ve taken multiple foreigners’ orders before.

Dine-in restaurants are a little different. Once you get a table they’ll either give you water pitchers and cups or there will be a “self bar” with water there (don’t order it!). Your spoon and chopsticks are most likely in a pull-out drawer at the end of the table as well. They give you LOADS of 반찬 (=side dishes) or you’ll have to get them at the self-bar if they have one. One thing I figured out was at some Korean BBQ places, the quantity you order has to match the amount of people at the table (ex: 5 orders of pork belly for 5 people). You can’t order less, but more is fine. Finally, you’ll most likely have to pay at the front desk. As a reminder, tipping culture in Korea doesn’t exist!

Escalators

This is something I didn’t know at first, but make sure to stand on the right of the escalators as the left is usually designated for people walking up or down them because they’re in a hurry.

Priority Seats

DO NOT SIT IN THESE. On subways, there are designated seats at the end of the cars for the elderly, disabled people, the injured, or people with children. There are also pink seats scattered throughout the cars that are specifically for pregnant people. I’ve seen some people (even men), not care about the pregnant seats, but I’m not risking it. In some rides, these seats aren’t differentiated in color so make sure to read the signs.

On buses, it is the same way. Most of the front part of the bus is priority seating. I’ve mainly seen pregnant seats as pink and regular priority seats as orange, but again, just pay attention to the signs!

Yellow Lines on Sidewalks

I first encountered these when I arrived at the Incheon airport, and man were these the most inconvenient obstacles in my chaotic journey that day. You will see them on basically almost every sidewalk here, and after I researched it, I found out that they were actually constructed for the visually impaired. It allows people to navigate through the streets and cities without risking injury or getting lost.

Umbrella Dryers and Holders

Why do these not exist everywhere? Like, seriously. A lot of buildings will have places to dry your umbrella, and some stores will even have holders for them so you’re not dragging around a dripping umbrella, leaving a watery trail in your wake.

Bathrooms

I know they also exist in some households in the United States, but I encountered my first bidet toilet when I landed in Incheon. They are kind of all over the place here and even in school building bathrooms. I hadn’t tried turning one on this semester until I stayed in a Busan hotel last week, and to make a long story short, I got spooked and it ended in disaster. They also have those bathrooms with the toilets on the ground, something I’ve NEVER seen before. Make sure you look at the signs on the stall so you don’t walk in and find yourself having to squat. 

Air Pressure Dryer Things

Also known as the miracles sent from heaven itself, these things should also be universal. The pressure is extremely high, so it will knock just about anything off. I’ve used it twice to get sand and dirt off my mesh Adidas and they still look good as new.

PDA

Korea is 100% the most couple-y country in the world and no one is changing my mind. People here openly and shamelessly hold hands, hug, cuddle, and kiss any chance they get, and almost everything here is designed to be a cute date activity. If you’re single and already feel lonely at home, good luck soldier. You’re gonna feel worse. :)

Pharmacies!! Everywhere!

If you ever get sick or have a health issue, you will most likely be fine getting the help you need. Right down the street from Yonsei University exists like 5 pharmacies within a three-minute walk from each other. They’re EVERYWHERE. I had accidentally left my eczema cream in the States and it was flaring up pretty badly. I used Papago to translate eczema into Korean and got a decent-working cream in under 5 minutes! They also have birth control (피임약) packs for as little as 10,000 won which I plan on investing in soon. All you have to do is use a translating app if you don’t know enough Korean and they’re glad to help you.

Trash Cans

Yeah, they weren’t kidding. Finding a nearby trash can is HARD. Some sidewalks have them and others don’t at all. Your best bet is either holding onto your trash until you find one or tossing it in a bathroom somewhere. And remember to sort between recyclable waste, food waste, and regular waste!