Places Around Spain to Visit During Your Study Abroad Program

By: Madeline Ahlberg

Lisbon, Portugal

Since I studied abroad in Sevilla, Portugal was a compelling cost-effective option due to its proximity to Spain. My friends and I were able to take an overnight bus ride to spend the weekend in Lisbon. The city has very beautiful streets and architecture with so much color and warmth. We found hidden swimming spots with very blue water and black cliffs, as well as beaches with the calmest atmosphere and smooth sand. The flowers were blooming everywhere when I visited, so taking many pictures was a must\. I really recommend that you go to Portugal to go during warm weather seasons so you can enjoy all of the summer benefits! Lisbon also had some great food and since we were near the ocean there were good seafood options, but also vegetarian options for those like myself. There is also a famous pastry in Portugal called Pastel de Nata. It looks like a mini tart and it's a great snack or breakfast treat. There are so many cute beach towns, and things to do in Portugal that are worth going back for if you have the time. 

Morocco 

I went to Fes one of my weekends abroad and it's also nice that it's so close to southern spain. Everything in Morocco is extremely cheap so you will be able to save money. I also thought it was a good cultural experience since it's much different than all of the countries I've been to in Europe. Morocco's vibrant markets, diverse cuisine, and unique traditions provided an authentic and immersive encounter that stood apart from my previous European travels. The affordability of the destination meant that I could spend more on local delicacies without worrying about breaking the bank, and guided tours of the city were accessible without straining my budget. Tangier is another city in Morocco that has mesmerizing blue scenery, and if you visit the Sahara Desert you can ride on the back of a camel. Regrettably, time constraints limited my ability to go on this adventure, but it remains on my list for future travels.

Rome, Italy

Italy is a bit farther from Spain but in my opinion it is so worth the slightly longer plane ride and extra expenses. It's definitely a must-visit because so many study abroad students have Rome as their home base (check out the CIEE Rome programs!). Rome is a very touristy, safe, and historic city with so many different monuments and things to see. Colosseum, trevi fountain, vatican city, St. Peter's Basilica, so many more! Not to mention the food and pasta is incredibly amazing. I'm always down to get some good ravioli or gnocchi. Rome a great city to visit, but many other cities in Italy are also great options. I have also visited: Florence, Luca, and Venice. I really loved all of them and I still believe Italy is one of my favorite countries in Europe. Amalfi Coast is also a very cute city in southern Italy but an expensive beach area that gets very crowded and touristy especially in the warmer months.