Norway Unfiltered: An Unplanned Adventure

By: Murphy Botko

We planned this trip based on how we were feeling, how far we wanted to drive, and what we wanted to see. We had little to no plan, except the car we were renting. Everything else was planned daily

Firstly, before I go into this experience, I will say it’s a great idea. Traveling to Norway with a couple of friends has been etched into my memory and will go down as one of the most indelible experiences of my travels. The sights are unbelievable, the people could not have been friendlier, and the food… well the food was alright. But besides the food, Norway is what it's made out to be. Incredible. 

Our trip to Norway was as follows: 

We booked a flight directly through Norwegian airlines, which we found was the cheapest after adding checked luggage and seat selection. My pro tip: do the same, don't let the google prices fool you. 

We flew into Oslo and picked up our rental car up at the airport. Discover Cars is a great place to look. With no special upgrade we scored a RAV4, complete with bluetooth and heated seats. The minimum age for renting is 19, and all you need is a valid US driver's license. 

We kicked off our journey the morning after a one-night pit stop in Oslo. We began our route towards Aurland, driving through pouring snow, beautiful mountain ranges, and bodies of water so immense they'd move a grown man to tears. After four hours of scenic driving we got to our first hostel called Vinjum. The sight from the hostel was incredible, right from your window you could see a Fjord. Although, due to it being the off-season (Oct-February) the town was less than vibrant, hibernating it seemed. We ended up cooking for ourselves.

The next day started at 6am, continuing 9 hours North West, stopping incrementally to see the sights, which were abundant. We ended at Ålesand. Our favorite destination. It had a great, young, nightlife with clubs and restaurants open until 2pm. We recommend the Brooklyner. 

The next day we drove to the Atlanterhavsveien Bridge, which was a sight to see. The ocean met the mountains and we soaked in the sights for about an hour until our fingers started to blue. We ended our 4th day in a random field, where we made a fire and slept in our car, which we would not recommend unless you have blankets. We did not. Our last stop was at Trondheim. A small city with a not so small ferris wheel. 

While this trip was incredibly fruitful, it is important to note the fruit was expensive. To give some context, three beers were about $45 and a small entree was about $24. So if you are planning to go to Norway, prepare to limit your purchasing. 

All in all, do it. Take the plunge. Embark on a journey to Norway. Witnesses the majestic Fjords. Indulge in an $18 beer. Traverse scenic trails, encounter mountain-dwelling sheep, and endure chilling nights in your car amid a secluded field. The expense of this adventure was trivial in comparison to the experiences it offered. 

Oh… and no. We did not see the Northern Lights.