Nami Island: A Break from the City

Nathan L.

Nestled in the heart of South Korea, Nami Island, or Namiseom as the locals call it, is a hidden gem that promises a day filled with natural beauty, art, and cultural immersion. This enchanting island, made famous by the Korean drama "Winter Sonata," is a must-visit destination for anyone exploring South Korea. It is a place away from the hectic nature of Seoul and the metropolitian heart of Korea, and I would highly recommend anyone visiting Korea to stop by. 

Nami Island Header Image

Getting There

Getting to Nami Island is a pretty simple task. All you need to do is to take the KTX Chuncheon Train from Yongsan Station in Seoul (a 40 minute bus ride from Yonsei University) and ride it to Gapyeong station, which is the 2nd to last stop to get to the Nami Island entrance. From there, you will take a ferry to the island.

gapyeong station

If only we had followed our own plan. 

Something that I realized while travelling across the globe is that it is quite rare for things to always go to plan. 

My group departed from Yonsei at a reasonable time in the morning to catch our train from Yongsan station at 11 AM. We arrived about 40 minutes early and grabbed some food from the convenience stores in the station. 

Side Note: I would recommend getting to the station and getting some convenience store or café refreshments while you are at a station because usually there are a lot of options once you arrive there.

Things however went from great to worse when we went down to the platform to catch our train. The train arrived 10 minutes earlier than the time that was posted on our tickets and to make matters worse, had a different number on the front of the train than what was on our tickets. This caused some of us to believe that we were trying to board the wrong train. 

Furthermore, when we got onto the train, there were no ways for us to confirm what train we were on and what destination it had in mind. 

With great reluctance, we go into our assigned car and sat down. As the train left, it began to take a different route than we had expected. Naver and other navigation apps showed that it was supposed to take a different route. 

The final nail in the coffin was that it began to stop a different station than what was said on our ticket and navigation. Thus, we made the call to get off. 

Oh, how stupid we were. 

After departing at the next station, we slowly realized that it was the correct train to Gapyeong.

We panicked for a bit and decided to regain our bearings after a quick lunch stop. 

While browsing Naver maps, we discovered a different route to the stop we wanted to get to. It was a local train/subway train that would take us there but was much slower than our original train. This would delay our arrival by 2 hours but at this point, we were happy to take anything that would get us there. 

After 22 stops, we finally arrived at our destination. 

Enjoying Yourself at the Island

Nami Island or Namiseom 남이섬 is actually its own micronation. To get into the island you need to pass immigration. 

immigrationpicture

Don’t worry you do really need to have a background check or anything, just make sure you bring your passports and pay a small fee once you arrive. 

Now that you are on the ferry, you can begin to appreciate to amazing natural beauty of the area. 

Stepping onto Nami Island was like walking into a dream. It's as though Mother Nature had painted her finest masterpiece for our enjoyment. The island is a wonderland, complete with tree-lined pathways, lush gardens, and the delightful cherry blossoms that South Korea is famous for. As we came near the end of the summer, everything was still in full bloom and the temperature was cool and crisp. 

With a map in hand, we set out to explore the island. Walking along Central Korean Pine Tree Lane, the gently swaying pine trees provided a calming backdrop for us to walk and talk under. Ginkgo Tree Lane was equally impressive, especially when I visited in autumn, with the golden leaves creating a captivating spectacle. And then, there's the Metasequoia Lane, where the tall trees form a breathtaking tunnel.

trees

The many side gardens and ponds were equally as impressive, giving us a sense of calm and relaxation, something we desperately need after our morning adventures with our train debacle. I would also highly recommend visiting the waterfall that is at the end of the island as well. 

sidepark

And if you are a fan of K-Dramas and have watched the show Winter Sonata, Nami Island hosts a tribute to the show that put it on the map. The Winter Sonata statue and replicas of the characters' houses are reminders of the show's timeless romance. I couldn't resist taking a few photos at these iconic spots.

Eating on the Island

After exploring the island for some time, we were extremely hungry. If you aren’t sure about what to eat, there are a lot of options for you to choose from. Just check out the brochure that you can pick up from the many tourist information centers to see what they serve and where they are on the island. 

We ended up at a bbq place called Seomhyanggi which served dakgalbi (닭갈비) and cold buckwheat noodles. After a long day, cold noodles and Nami Island’s special makgeolli made of pine nuts was what we needed to unwind. 

food

Souvenirs

As my day on Nami Island came to an end, I made a stop at the souvenir shops. There, I found a wide array of handmade crafts and traditional Korean keepsakes, which served as perfect mementos to commemorate my visit. 

As the day ended, we headed to our hotel in nearby Chuncheon and rested after a long day exploring the island. If you are interested, there is actually hotel accommodation on the island, but it can be quite pricy and requires reservations months in advance due to the island’s popularity. 

As a place to visit, I would have to give it my patented (not really) NateScoreTMof 8 out of 10. It is a place I would highly recommend to any traveler or student studying abroad in Seoul.