A Journey of Peace and Diplomacy Program in Tallinn

CIEE Tallinn

A Journey of Peace and Diplomacy in Tallinn: Reflecting on an Unforgettable Experience

Greetings from Tallinn, Estonia! As the first session of our Peace and Diplomacy program for high school students at CIEE Tallinn comes to an end, we take a moment to reflect on the remarkable journey we've had over the past few weeks. From the very beginning, this program aimed to immerse students in the rich cultural and political landscape of Estonia, providing them with a deep understanding of international relations, diplomacy, and peace.

Discovering Estonia and Its Institutions

Our adventure began with a warm orientation that not only introduced students to the cultural and safety tips of their new surroundings but also helped them navigate Tallinn's public transportation system. The highlight of the week was undoubtedly the visit to the legislative assembly at the Riigikogu, where students had the rare opportunity to meet Mr. Jüri Ratas, the former Prime Minister of Estonia and former Mayor of Tallinn. This experience provided an invaluable glimpse into the workings of Estonia's government and its legislative processes.

Students also had the privilege of touring the Presidential Palace in Kadriorg and learning about the Estonian Defense Forces at the International Council of Security and Defense. These visits underscored Estonia's significant contributions to international peacekeeping missions, particularly through NATO and EU operations.

Exploring Estonia's Heritage

Beyond the political and diplomatic visits, students were deeply immersed in Estonian culture. They explored the medieval architecture of Tallinn's Old Town, savored new culinary flavors, and visited iconic sites such as Kadriorg Park and the Japanese Botanical Gardens. Students also had the chance to travel to Pärnu, the summer capital of Estonia, and spend a wonderful day at the beach. 

Not to mention, they also celebrated Midsummer's Eve, one of the biggest celebrations in Estonia. This festive occasion, called Jaanipäev, marks the summer solstice and is a time for joyous gatherings, traditional bonfires, singing, and dancing. The celebration includes folk music, games, and the sharing of special foods. These experiences enriched their understanding of Estonia's history and traditions, fostering a deeper connection with the country.

Networking and Team-Building

The second week was a whirlwind of activities and learning opportunities. Students started the week with a wellness class to discuss the program's objectives and their expectations. They then visited the NATO Cybersecurity Center, gaining insights into the complexities of cybersecurity and NATO's role in addressing global threats.

A networking lunch with the Baltic Freedom Foundation Board Members allowed students to engage with experts in peace and diplomacy, learning about Estonia's role in the broader international context. The week concluded with a team-building activity at Nõmme Seikluspark, where students collaborated to navigate tree-top trails and ziplines, strengthening their bonds and teamwork skills.

A Trip to Haapsalu and Beyond

The program's second weekend featured a day trip to Haapsalu, a charming city with rich history. Students explored Haapsalu Castle, enjoyed the promenades once favored by Tsar Peter I, and experienced the city's unique atmosphere. Sunday was a free day, giving students the chance to pursue their own adventures, such as climbing St. Olaf, visiting the Tallinn TV tower, or exploring the KGB prison cells museum.

Embracing Democratic Values and Presenting Projects

In the final week, the focus shifted to understanding the importance of democratic values and the role of international educational exchange in promoting peace and democracy. Students met with the Baltic American Freedom Foundation team and alumni, discussing the significance of such exchanges in fostering global harmony.

The visit to the NATO Cybersecurity Center was a highlight, deepening students' understanding of cyber threats and the strategies to mitigate them. This experience, combined with the insights gained from previous weeks, provided a comprehensive view of Estonia's contributions to international peacekeeping.

The culmination of the program is the presentation of the final projects. Each group will articulate their project's purpose and demonstrate how their results contribute to their objectives. These presentations will showcase the students' ability to integrate course information, address questions, and solve problems. Additionally, a language practice assignment is pushing their boundaries and adding an exciting dimension to their learning experience.

A Student's Perspective: Larkin's Reflections

Students in TV Tower

As we are concluding this transformative journey, we share a quote from one of our outstanding participants, Larkin. Originally from Santa Barbara, California, Larkin graduated from UWC East Africa in Tanzania and will be studying at St. Olaf College in Minnesota for the next four years. She is passionate about international relations and political science, aspiring to become a teacher.

"Inspiring stories, empowered networking, thought-provoking questions, powerful peaceful history, eager, engaged, and open conversations, endless questions. Diplomacy and peace. Those are just a few words to describe this wonderful experience in Tallinn. From former prime ministers to the president's palace, to NATO Cybersecurity, to becoming de facto EU parliament members, to meeting the US ambassador. This program exceeds all expectations of a diplomacy and peace program, and these experiences and networking opportunities will help for a lifetime."

A Lasting Impact

As our Global Navigators prepare to head back to the U.S., they carry with them new memories, friendships, and a profound understanding of peace and diplomacy. 

This program has exceeded expectations, providing invaluable experiences and networking opportunities that will undoubtedly shape their futures. We look forward to seeing the positive impact these young leaders will have on the world, inspired by their time in Tallinn.