Internships in Sustainability and the Environment: "Sustainable Landscaping," Bex Klafter

Sustainability + the Environment

Karen Masters

Throughout the past month, I have been working with sustainable landscaper Felipe Negrini to create mosaics using upcycled materials to improve the Monteverde-Santa Elena transect. This internship has focused on increasing the functionality of the transect—currently difficult to walk due to poor pedestrian-oriented infrastructure—by enhancing the security and aesthetics of a section of the trail to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve. I have created mosaics on twenty bricks to install in the area which will draw attention to trail to encourage more pedestrians to walk there. The main beneficiaries of my work are the local residents and visitors walking the transect and trail.

I was drawn to this internship because I’m interested in subtle systems changes to increase the walkability and therefore sustainability of cities. Additionally, I have always wanted to create art using upcycled materials, such as the tiles I used for my mosaics. Cities in developing countries face major issues related to extremely rapid urbanization without sufficient city planning and thus suffer inadequate infrastructural growth. Monteverde is no exception; most parts of the transect lack appropriate sidewalks, there has been very little planning dedicated to future expansion, and many areas experience decay and erosion due to heavy rain and poor maintenance. While there are trails from Santa Elena to the Cloud Forest Preserve, many have fallen into disrepair and are infrequently used by pedestrians—posing a serious safety hazard and detracting from both residents’ and visitors’ experiences of Monteverde.

To accomplish this internship, I first familiarized myself with Monteverde by walking the transect multiple times while noting observations, reading previous interns’ evaluations of the area, and researching Monteverde’s history. After gaining a better understanding of the town and its infrastructural strengths and needs, I decided to create mosaicked cinderblocks to install on the trail to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve. To make the mosaics, I met with local artist Ana Ovares, who is very experienced with mosaics and taught me the techniques. Then, I gathered old materials such as ceramic tiles, cracked tea cups, and broken bottles and smashed them into the shapes I wanted. Finally, I put cement on the blocks and added the materials. After drying, each cinderblock required a laborious cleaning and maintenance process.

Smashing tiles to make pieces for mosaics

I am grateful for this internship opportunity because, professionally, I am interested in pursuing a career in environmental regulation, potentially through government. This internship allowed me to learn more about urban planning, infrastructural shortcomings, and the potential role of sustainable landscaping to ameliorate these problems—which will help me at a position in an environmental government agency. In addition, I learned about and created mosaics, which I’d previously known nothing about. As a student of environmental studies, my work products rarely include anything more tangible than a paper or presentation, so I have loved the opportunity to produce something physical and learn a new artistic skill. The twenty mosaics I made and installed forced me outside of my comfort zone by pushing me to think creatively about how I could alter perceptions of the physical space through my contributions. Although challenging, this internship was an extremely rewarding experience allowing me to learn more about sustainable landscaping, Monteverde, and mosaics. I hope to continue creating upcycled art in the future and believe that the patience, skills, and knowledge acquired in the process will benefit me in my future artistic, scholastic, and professional endeavors.

The twenty finished mosaic cinderblocks