I Joined A Swimming club At Yonsei

Nicolas H.

At my home university, I am a part of the swim team. I was always looking for ways to get in the pool here to just stay in some shape for when I inevitably go back to the US (unfortunately the day is coming very soon). My roommate was aware of this and offered to talk to the president of a swimming club on campus and I swiftly jumped at the opportunity. Although the club did not meet very often it would be good to at least get some training in with some other people. I needed to order some equipment first, including a wetsuit, buoy, and some other open-water swimming gear that I did not previously have. We had a plan to meet so I got all the appropriate equipment and met the group somewhere near campus and they drove me to Gubongdo island (around an hour away). Once we got there the president walked me around where we would swim and then we got ready. It was very exciting because I had never opened the water before. We met up with some friends the president of the club usually swims with, some older gentlemen who seem to have been doing this for a long time. We started our 4km swim around the island around 4:30 pm so we were able to watch the sunset while in the water and it was beautiful. It lasted around an hour to complete and we took 3 breaks in between to rest. I brought my GoPro and did a little Vlog-style video to upload on my YouTube channel (NicvVlogs) sometime shortly. By the end of the swim, the sun was setting, and the temperature was dropping. My hands and feet were very cold and I was exhausted. It was fun to experience something not many exchange students are able to do. Although the people I was around spoke little (if any) English, I enjoyed being immersed in the culture more and spending the day swimming with some local (not only students) Koreans. That drive home I slept almost the entire trip, and when I got home my body was done for the time being. Overall it was a great opportunity to have and I was very happy I was able to have gotten in the water for a workout!