Guide for Students of Color Studying Abroad: 4 Tips

By: Kameela Lemma

Studying abroad is undoubtedly a life-altering experience, and for students of color, it comes with its unique set of challenges.

As one of the few black girls studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain, I can attest that it has been an adjustment. Transitioning from familiar surroundings to a place where I seldom encounter someone of my complexion is not always easy. I'd be dishonest if I claimed not to miss the convenience of having someone who understands my experiences as a minority or who can help with my hair. However, I recognized that these challenges shouldn't deter me from pursuing my dreams. While I always yearned to live in a new country and immerse myself in a different culture, I also grappled with the possibility of not finding anyone who looks or speaks like me. Today, I want to offer fellow students of color a guide on navigating the experience of studying abroad.

1. Embrace Your Identity

Though it may seem basic, one of the most crucial things that aided me during my time in Barcelona was embracing my blackness without reservation. Initially, I hesitated to discuss my experiences as a black person, assuming that others might not relate. However, as I began sharing my journey, I found comfort in being authentic. Don't shy away from your identity just because you may be the only one representing it. I was initially hesitant to talk about my struggles with finding someone to style my hair or my desire for venues playing afrobeats/rap, fearing that no one would understand. Shifting my perspective from "no one will understand" to "I can share my culture with others" made a significant difference.

2. Find Your Community

This may take some time, but it's well worth the effort. I noticed a change in myself when I was around people who didn't make an effort to understand my identity and culture. Authenticity was a struggle in those environments. Seek out individuals who create space for you to be yourself. While abroad, you're already navigating a whirlwind of emotions, so it's crucial to find people who support you. For instance, I yearned to visit places that played music I enjoyed, but the people around me preferred different venues. I accommodated their preferences for a while, but when I met another black girl who shared my musical tastes, we began frequenting places that resonated with both of us. It takes time, but you will find your community if you remain true to yourself.

3. Prioritize Your Mental Health and Address Culture Shock

Adapting to being one of the very few black individuals in Barcelona took some time. While I attend a predominantly white school back home, I interact with many black friends on a daily basis. In Barcelona, the difference was palpable, and I realized I was experiencing culture shock. To cope, I maintained connections with friends and family back home, which helped me feel connected. Sharing my feelings with the people I trusted most was invaluable. It's essential to acknowledge that you'll go through a range of emotions, and it's perfectly normal to feel them. While I didn't want to wallow in sadness for too long, I made an effort to spend time with people who brought me joy or simply enjoyed some alone time.

4. Embrace the Cultural Exchange

Despite moments of feeling out of place, I recommend embracing the fact that you're in an entirely new place with a distinct culture that offers a wealth of learning opportunities. It might be uncomfortable at times, but remind yourself that it's okay. This is a temporary period in your life, so make the most of it. I reminded myself that I'd regret not trying new things more than trying them, even if they frightened me.

Conclusion:

Above all, remember that others have paved the way before you, and you are more than capable of navigating this journey. Challenges may arise, but remind yourself that you're living out your dreams. Being abroad has been a profound learning experience for me, proving that I can push myself beyond my comfort zone. I've met incredible people and embraced countless new experiences, all of which I would have missed out on if I'd let fear hold me back. Sometimes, it's about trying new things, even if it means facing your fears head-on.