DON’T LET SOCIAL DISTANCING TANK YOUR GPA

Completing your classwork at your kitchen table is not nearly as exciting as studying abroad alongside landmarks like Rome’s Coliseum, Rio de Janeiro’s Christ the Redeemer, or Seoul’s Gyeongbokgung Palace. Unfortunately, COVID-19 has turned the world, and your spring semester, upside down. But don’t let online coursework and social distancing tank your GPA.

Here are a few tips for staying the course and ending the semester with flying colors:

STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE

The best way to stay focused and keep your coursework on track is by sticking to your routine. Wake up and get ready at the time you normally would each morning. Go about your day as if you were heading to campus. Drink your coffee, prepare your lunch, and keep tabs on your course syllabi to ensure you’re submitting your work on time.

DRESS FOR SUCCESS

Wearing pajamas to your remote classes isn’t exactly off-limits, but it’s not highly recommended either. Getting dressed as if you’re heading to campus is a better bet. Plus, if your class is using video conferencing to communicate lessons, you’ll want to be dressed appropriately. Don’t worry – you can still wear your bunny slippers.

CREATE A DESIGNATED WORKSPACE

If you can, turn a specific area of your home into your “classroom.” Working on your bed or the couch saps productivity because it signals “relaxation” to your body. If you have a desk, now’s the time to make use of it. If you don’t, consider setting up shop in a quiet corner of your home that gets little foot traffic. When you have a place to call your workspace, it strengthens the mindset of getting coursework done.

TAKE BREAKS

Just as you would between classes on campus, take breaks during the day for some self-care. Get outside and bask in the sunshine. Read a few chapters of a new book. Go for a walk. Have a healthy snack like a banana with peanut butter or smoothie bowl. Breaking up your day will help you take care of your mental and physical health during this strange and unprecedented time.

LIMIT DISTRACTIONS

Even the most skilled multitasker has trouble getting work done with social media alerts beeping, noise from the tv, and music blaring in the background. To stay focused, limit distractions during school hours. For you, that might mean taking breaks between projects to unwind with a little tv or checking social media between classes. Whatever works, as long as you’re being productive.

UNPLUG

At the end of each day, turn your screen off and unplug. When you’re working from home, the line between school and personal time tends to blur. Self-care has never been more important, so set aside time to unwind after a long day of classes, projects, and deadlines.