Discovering Glasgow: A Transformative 4-Week Journey in Scotland

Summer in Glasgow

CIEE Glasgow

Glasgow and Scotland were amazing places to live and experience for the 4-week CIEE program. I’m glad I went into this program with little expectations, not knowing much about Scotland and especially Glasgow. I’m glad I decided on Glasgow as opposed to Edinburgh, for example, because it is less of a tourist city, which gave me an accurate portrayal of what it might be like to live in Scotland as a local. I was initially nervous about going into a program with only five students, including myself, as I was expecting there to be at least ten people, but it all worked out well in the end as we all became closer friends because of this. The class itself was uniquely interactive; we could be learning about a historical event that occurred just down the street, and the excursions we went on connected what we had learned in class, either by going to a museum or another city like Stirling or Edinburgh. I felt more and more connected to the country’s history and current issues as the weeks went by.

Student with golf club playing at St Andrews Golf Course

As you become more invested in another culture, you naturally begin to compare it to the culture and society that you come from. This was one of the most important things that I experienced while abroad—not being a local for an extended period. I started to become more aware of my accent, and any service that I would use or interaction, you approach it with a different perspective as a foreigner curious about the differences in the culture from your own. The number one piece of advice that I can think of is this: Don’t waste your limited time abroad; take advantage of the opportunity. The day I arrived in Scotland was the most challenging day for me as I subconsciously thought about being miles away from anybody I knew. After sitting in my room for some time, I could’ve easily stayed there, but I persevered and decided to explore the city on a walking tour, which jump-started the motivation for the rest of the program. Through this simple walking tour, I met two other tourists that I would have dinner with the next couple of days, and that made the transition more comfortable. I’m not saying it is easy to get out of your comfort zone, but that is the most important thing that I learned to do. It is up to you to determine how enjoyable and memorable you want the experience to be.

Students at Stirling Castle, Scotland

I would also attend a local church where I would meet a lot of local Glaswegians, many of them students, that would give me a new perspective on what it is like to live in Glasgow and what the local community is like. To go along with this advice, it is important that you try to include other people in your group whenever there is an opportunity to do so. If you’re ever planning on going on a trip, make sure to share an open invitation with the other people in your group. This was easier for me because my group was so small, but it is important to consider every opportunity to get to know your fellow classmates better. Ironically, I wish I had explored more of Scotland. I didn’t really get to see the Highlands even though they weren’t that far away, but four weeks is not a long time and it will go by quickly, especially once you reach the halfway point and realize that it’s time to make the most of the little time that you have left, so you scramble to visit some of the places you have left on your bucket list. I will want to visit Scotland and the United Kingdom again in the future because, even after being there for a month, there are many things that I didn’t experience and many things that I will be excited to share with my family upon returning.

- Nick, University of North Carolina at Charlotte (Summer In Glasgow, 2024)