Communication, New Media + Journalism Newsletter / Spring 17 / Issue II

Communications, New Media + Journalism English

Oscar Ceballos

Día internacional de la mujer (International Women's Day) from Sarah Davis on Vimeo.

Dear friends,

As our Spring 2017 semester advances, all students of the Communication, New Media and Journalism program are fully involved in their academic projects and their social life in Seville. A visit to our Facebook page will give you an interesting glimpse into our dealings in and out of town. The busiest part of the semester is around the corner, which means students will start working very shortly in their final media projects ­–photo, video and magazine–, reaching into our community for stories, images and sounds.

This semester, we’re lucky to have 9 students from the University of Seville and different nationalities (Colombian, Mexican and Spanish) participating for-credit in our core courses Digital Video Reporting in Context and Magazine Reporting and Writing, which are as usual hosted at the Centro de Iniciativas Culturales de la Universidad de Sevilla (CICUS), one of the most important cultural hubs of the city. Students of the course Urban Photography Workshop: the City from Within will have their final projects exhibited here.

Many of our students are making the most out of their experience abroad by either volunteering, teaching English or participating in activities that allow them to connect with their host community at different levels. Thus, Eliza Radeka (University of Colorado at Boulder), Vanessa Rodríguez (Mount Holyoke College) and Leah Proctor-Ford (Spelman College) are working at the media organization and NGO Historias de Luz, which fosters more positive views of the South, giving voice to those who are not usually heard. William Hibbard (Denison University) is volunteering as an English Language Assistant at the Divina Pastora school with groups of 2nd and 5th graders. Vanessa Rodríguez (Mount Holyoke College) and Evann Orleck-Jetter (University of Vermont) are working as at-home teachers, twice a week, with kids ages 4 to 7. Rachel Goodman (Indiana University-Bloomington) is singing at the Choir of the University of Seville, performing in different cities and attending rehearsals regularly.

At the academic front, our students are participating in multiple activities, both in and out of class:

Don’t miss the observational documentary shown above project by Sarah Davis (Villanova University) and Leah Proctor-Ford (Spelman College) about the Demonstration that took place in Seville on March 8th to commemorate International Women's Day. They were asked to be like flies on the wall, silent witnesses who capture with their cameras everything that happens around them: the big and the small, the significant and the irrelevant, the deep and the superficial. The result is wonderful. Enjoy it!

Once again, the students of the course Magazine Reporting and Writing welcomed Sahrawi students from the University of Seville to keep learning and talking about the struggle of the Sahrawi people to gain their freedom and to leave an exile into the dessert of more than 42 years.

Students of the course Urban Photography Workshop: The City from Within are experimenting as usual, creating cameras obscuras when guest photographer Miguel Romero came to talk to them or visiting the meaningful project created by the professor of the course, Antonio Pérez, depicting the daily lives of migrants whom live in Seville, “24 hours in the the life of…”

In order to learn in more detail about these activities, to see photographs and videos, visit our Facebook page at CNMJ CIEE SEVILLE.

More news soon…

Best reards,

Óscar Ceballos