Business + Culture, Spring 2017, Newsletter I

Business + Culture

Fernando Janeiro

The semester had only just begun and Business and Culture students already enjoyed one of the most famous Catalan traditions. The CALÇOTADA is a popular feast (first held in 1896) made with calçots, a type of onion that is produced only in Cataluña. Calçots are usually eaten in January, February and March, roasted over a wood fire and accompanied by a special romesco  sauce.  Traditionally customers need to wear a bib to eat them.

BC students followed the tradition, when in Rome,…do as the Romans do!

WEEKEND TRIP TO SEVILLE

A group of BC students went on a trip to Seville (in Andalucía) with CIEE staff members.  Their Resident Director, Sandra Rodríguez, accompanied them. Sandra is a native from Seville and the perfect companion to travel with. They visited a cattle farm where a professional bullfighter showed them how to make a pass. Bullfighting was originally done on horseback and was a sport reserved for the aristocracy. Spain´s first bullfighting figures are well known in Andalucía. 

Caroline (University of Madison-Wisconsin) had the opportunity to practice the art of bullfighting and she was actually quite good at it.

WHAT´S NEW

This semester we started working with the University of Vic in Barcelona. Vic is the capital of the comarca of Osona, in the Barcelona province. It is located 69km from Barcelona and is home to one of the best private universities in Barcelona.

For the first time, a group of Business and Culture students are taking classes from the “Business, Design and Innovation” program, offered by UVic at their Barcelona campus (a short metro ride from the CIEE Study Center). The program, taught in English, is meant for international students. They love the international environment of the program in the trendy neighborhood of Poblenou!