Answering your questions as an alumni intern

CIEE Kyoto
mya1

Back in Kyoto... but as an Intern Now!

Hello, I’m Mya. 

I'm thrilled to be writing this blog as it means…I'm back in Japan

…but this time as an intern! 

After studying abroad in college with CIEE Kyoto just two semesters ago, I never imagined I'd be returning so soon. Upon returning to the United States, the first thing I wanted to do was find a way to come back. So I began looking for opportunities and this is where I discovered an alumni internship position for CIEE – a completely new internship as of this summer! Just weeks before my college graduation, I received the news that I was one of two interns selected for the HSSA program in Kyoto, and here I am, typing this blog from a cozy cafe in Kyoto, enjoying a long-awaited cup of Uji matcha.

As for the contents of this blog, I know I had a few questions upon arriving myself, so I thought it would be fun to answer some:

What is an alumni intern?

An alumni intern is a newly introduced position, and I happen to be part of the first wave! This opportunity is designed for alumni who have previously studied abroad with CIEE. They are looking for alumni who are passionate about their study abroad sites and eager to return to assist current students. Who better to guide new participants than someone familiar with public transportation, local customs, and navigating a new location?! As an alumni intern, my role primarily supports high school students throughout their summer study abroad program. This position spans one month over the summer, with two sessions available. Given its recent launch, I anticipate the program will evolve and expand as it progresses.

mya2

Sometimes I even get to participate with the high school students and their excursions. Here’s my first time visiting a Japanese high school

mya3

Playing Kahoot and attending the HSSA student's orientation.

What's it like returning?

Returning to Japan has been so refreshing! When I was here in August of 2023, I only had 8 weeks to see the country + attend my college classes. It didn’t nearly feel like enough time to do everything. I even remember leaving with a list of things I knew I had to see the next time I was back. Now as an intern, I'm savoring the day-to-day life. This slower pace allows me to truly appreciate living and working in Japan. I feel like I’ve gotten to see more of the country and less of the “touristy” spots because of this.

mya4

Yodofu for dinner! First time - will be back

What does my day-to-day life look like as an intern?

My weekdays are a mix of office tasks and hands-on experiences. Typically, on Mondays and Fridays, I handle office work—proofreading documents, updating presentations, attending meetings, and observing high school classes. The rest of the week, I assist with student excursions, from tie-dye workshops to school visits, and matcha tea ceremonies. During these excursions, I get to chat with the high school students and assist their program leaders when help is needed. It’s fun knowing I was in their shoes just a year ago, but some of the activities are even new to me as well! Once these activities are done, I usually head off to lunch and finish my day in the office. Lucky for me, weekends are mine to explore! Although I do know that some programs have activities over select weekends that require interns to work. Our schedules are flexible to our location’s needs. However, all interns get two days off of course!

mya5
mya6

Making fuzzy friends all throughout Japan

Favorite things to do on my days off

Weekends are my time to explore Kyoto and beyond. During the second week, I took the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Hiroshima to visit the Peace Memorial Museum—a trip I didn’t have enough time for during my study abroad. I got to try out a capsule hotel for the first time! 10/10 I’d do it again. I especially recommend the capsule option for a short/solo trip. I've also used my time off to explore Osaka. Since my days end anywhere from 4:30-6:00 PM, I’ve had time to do things after work. When I was studying abroad while taking classes, I didn’t have the time after class because I had an evening class but now I’ve been able to take evening trips to Osaka after work to see sights I haven’t gotten a chance to see prior.

One of my favorite things to do is spend the day taking photos: 

mya7

On my way to Miyajima Island 

mya8

Time to be a tourist and see the famous floating Torii gate

mya9

Post-work treats at Kaiyukan Osaka Aquarium!

mya10

Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome

Would I recommend it?

Absolutely! I can confidently say it's been worth every moment. With accommodations, meals, and travel covered, I'm gaining valuable experience while enjoying living in Japan - again! Plus, I love helping others, so this internship is right up my alley. Throughout high school and college, I've been involved in positions like working at a Spanish daycare and being a learning assistant at my college. If you're thinking about applying to become an alumni intern or a similar opportunity, go for it—the blend of leadership skills and personal exploration is priceless.

mya11

Osaka Castle sights are always breathtaking. I can’t believe how fast a month flew by. Leave in a few days now.

What’s next for me?

Next stop, teaching English in Seoul Korea with CIEE 🤞

As you can tell, I don’t want my travels to end quite yet...so I’m finding more opportunities to explore the world. That’s why I’m planning to spend my 2025-2026 with the CIEE in South Korea as an English teacher. I just sent in my application while in Japan. I’m excited for the new adventures ahead and if you’re interested in following along you can find my travels @myachuntao on Instagram. 

mya12

Some Nara deer to end the blog :)