9 New Winter Study Abroad Programs for January 2025

January in Amsterdam

If you’re looking to thrive in 2025 with an unforgettable J-Term study abroad program, then you’ve come to the right place! CIEE Study Abroad has nine brand-new winter study abroad programs for you to consider for your next winter break.  

These short-term, budget-friendly, and impactful study abroad programs offer the perfect taste of study abroad without interfering with your academic calendar. See for yourself!

Read More: Short-Term Study Abroad: Everything You Need to Know

5 Reasons to Enroll in J-Term Study Abroad Programs

If you aren’t familiar with the word “J-Term,” it’s the CIEE term for January study abroad. Our J-Term programs are favorited by CIEE alums year after year because of their top five benefits:

1. J-Term study abroad is an efficient use of time. You can earn 3 semester hours/4.5 quarter hours in just three-and-a-half weeks without missing a beat back on campus! Held during most university breaks, you can maximize your winter break by earning credits toward your degree between your fall and spring terms. 

2. Winter study abroad programs are cost effective. Since J-Term programs are shorter than a full semester abroad, they cost a lot less. In fact, the average price of a CIEE J-Term program is around $4,000 – a fraction of the cost of an entire semester abroad. 

3. J-Term study abroad programs are loaded with cultural immersion. Our shorter, less costly J-Term programs don’t skimp on cultural immersion. While you’ll be abroad for only three-and-a-half weeks, your time will be deeply impactful, filled with extracurricular and co-curricular activities organized by CIEE to introduce you to the local community and round out your academics with enriching experiences. 

4. Winter study abroad programs offer unique seasonal experiences. From the Christmas markets of Europe that stay open until early January to exciting New Year’s events countries celebrate differently around the world, being abroad during the winter will give you global insight into foreign cultures and customs you wouldn’t ordinarily experience otherwise. 

5. J-Term study abroad will lead to lifelong personal growth. Even in a mere three-and-a-half weeks you’d be surprised by the amount of personal growth you’ll experience by studying abroad. From gaining independence to boosting your confidence, navigating a new country, even for a short period, will help you learn how to solve complex problems, adapt to new situations, and manage challenges all on your own.  
j term taiwan

Read More: 5 Reasons to Do a Winter Study Abroad Program

9 New Reasons Winter Study Abroad Programs for January 2025

Now for the good stuff – our nine brand-new, unforgettable, and epic J-Term study abroad programs that we’re now offering in new locations around the world. Explore these exciting winter study abroad programs and pick your favorite for your next winter break!

1. January in Alicante
  2. January in Edinburgh
  3. January in Florence
  4. January in Glasgow
  5. January in Lisbon
  6. January in Milan
  7. January in Palma
  8. January in Seoul
  9. January in Tokyo

Read More: 10 Best J-Term Study Abroad Programs

Program #1: January in Alicante

Beating the cold and spending your winter break in the beautiful Mediterranean sounds like a dream, right? Make it your reality! Take your studies to Alicante, one of Spain’s most beautiful port cities, where you’ll discover some of Spain’s most characteristic cultural traits by the picturesque Mediterranean Sea.

• Credit: 3 semester hours/4.5 quarter hours
  • Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $3,950
  • Featured Course: Culture, Festivities, and Traditions Through Spanish Gastronomy and Wine
  • Featured Excursion: Tour Santa Bárbara Castle, the Old Quarter, and the Archaeological Museum of Alicante
j term amsterdam

Program #2: January in Edinburgh

Great Scot, Edinburgh is calling! Take your studies to the powerhouse of Scottish arts, culture, and education. At CIEE Edinburgh, you’ll study Scotland’s past and present and in your free time you’ll broaden your understanding of Scottish history, contemporary affairs, and culture while appreciating Edinburgh’s striking architecture, rich 1,000-year history, and remarkable UNESCO World Heritage sites.

• Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $4,150
  • Featured Course: Scotland Past & Present
  • Featured Excursion: Hike up Arthur’s Seat, a 342-million-year-old extinct volcano located in Holyrood Park, which offers superb walks and stunning views over the city

Program #3: January in Florence

The enchanting birthplace of the Renaissance beckons you! On this three-week January study abroad program, you’ll be awed and inspired by artistic genius in central Italy. Here in Florence, hills boasting the quintessential Tuscan landscape of cypress trees, handsome estates, olive groves and vineyards will be your backdrop while you earn credits toward your degree.

• Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $4,250
  • Featured Course: The Great Renaissance Artists of Florence
  • Featured Excursion: Visit significant Florentine locations, such as the Duomo Santa Maria del Fiore, Uffizi Gallery, Palazzo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio, Piazzale Michelangelo, and more

Program #4: January in Glasgow

The cultural epicenter of Scotland has your name all over it! Say hello to Glasgow, home to Scotland’s rich tapestry of Scottish music and culture. Here you’ll delve into the melodies, rhythms, and histories that have shaped Glasgow's music scene and, by extension, Scotland's cultural identity. From traditional folk tunes to the pulsating beats of contemporary genres, you’ll have the opportunity to engage with local musicians, attend live performances, and gain insights into the unique fusion of influences that characterize Glasgow's diverse musical landscape.

• Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $4,150
  • Featured Course: Music and Society in Scotland
  • Featured Excursion: Go on a guided walking tour of Glasgow’s outstanding historic city center, such as the merchant city neighborhood, where wealthy traders had their homes in the 18th century
j term taiwan

Program #5: January in Lisbon

Known for its hospitality, the western tip of Europe is the perfect place to launch your study abroad journey! If you are looking for a city full of authenticity where ancient history and old customs intermix with cultural entertainment and hi-tech innovation, Lisbon is the right place for you. The temperate weather, great cuisine, and welcoming atmosphere make it the perfect icing on the cake during your winter break.

• Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $3,950
  • Featured Course: Contemporary Portugal: Politics and Culture
  • Featured Excursion: Explore the enchanted Sintra, a romantic town in a mountainous area in the north of Lisbon

Program #6: January in Milan

Spend your winter break living and learning in Milan, Italy’s unofficial fashion, business, and design capital. Located near the snowcapped Alps and lake district of Northern Italy, Milan is defined by an elegant combination of Italian style and modern innovation. In this intensive winter program, daily classes feature illustrated lectures, group research, field trips, and exchanges with local experts. In addition, the program is accompanied by two-day trips beyond the city's limits, complementing your Milanese experience.  

• Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $4,250
  • Featured Course: Fashion and Business in Italy
  • Featured Excursion: Explore Lake Como, the most beautiful of the northern Italian lakes
j term amsterdam

Program #7: January in Palma

Trade in your winter at home for an epic J-Term program in Palma de Mallorca, a dreamy Mediterranean island home to stunning scenery, unique Mediterranean cuisine and traditions, and fascinating natural protected areas. This incredible Spanish city is a top European destination, welcoming around 12 million tourists annually, and a special place to focus on social and environmental responsibility.

• Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $3,950
  • Featured Course: Sustainable Tourism
  • Featured Excursion: Visit Sierra de Tramontana, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Mallorca’s most important and stunning mountain range overlooking the blue Mediterranean, where you’ll learn about its historical towns and gastronomy

Program #8: January in Seoul

Spend your winter break in South Korea’s captivating capital, Seoul! During this exciting three-week program, you’ll discover the city’s special blend of ancient traditions and modern innovations. In addition to earning credits and learning about Korean culture, you’ll have plenty of time to explore Seoul’s dynamic city limits and beyond. From admiring stately palaces and sampling diverse foods to experiencing lively nightlife and visiting dozens of museums, galleries, and theme parks, there’s so much to see and do during your time abroad.

• Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $3,950
  • Featured Course: Sustainable Tourism
  • Featured Excursion: Check out Seoul Forest, a man-made eco-friendly park that is one of the city’s most beautiful green spaces

Program #9: January in Tokyo

Ring in the New Year and spend your winter break in Tokyo, Japan’s vibrant capital city. During this three-week J-Term study abroad program, you’ll explore Tokyo’s hub of rich traditional culture, modern art, world-class cuisine, and urban and technological innovation. Earn credits toward your degree as you engage in a diverse array of cultural activities, sample Japanese cuisine, explore traditional arts, and venture to the outer skirts of the city to enjoy the serenity and beauty of Japan's famous natural sites. Discover some of Tokyo’s 137,000+ restaurants, 1,450+ temples, and 5,000+ years of history for yourself!

• Eligibility: 2.5 overall GPA
  • Cost: $4,150
  • Featured Excursion: Visit Sensoji Temple and sample a variety of fare from vendors lining the vibrant streets

J-Term Study Abroad is Calling

Now that you’ve been introduced to the brand-new, exciting winter study abroad programs at CIEE Study Abroad, it’s time to get on your way. Find your favorite CIEE program and get going!

EXPLORE J-TERM STUDY ABROAD