Staff Updates June 2018

ASIA PACIFIC

Darren Biggs - Interim Director, CIEE Tokyo

Darren Biggs
Darren Biggs will become Interim Director of CIEE Tokyo, effective July 1, 2018.  Darren  joined CIEE Tokyo in 2013 and is currently manager for Program Operations. Darren studied abroad as an undergraduate student in Kobe, Japan, and ever since he has been committed to helping others learn and grow through intercultural and educational exchange. After graduating from the University of Arizona with a B.A. in Media Arts and minor in East Asian Studies, Darren taught English in rural Japan through the JET Program, taught Japanese language at a community college in his hometown in Arizona, and worked in language interpretation services.  Darren received a full scholarship from Japan's Ministry of Education and obtained an M.A. in Global Studies at Sophia University in Tokyo, CIEE’s host university. 

EUROPE

Michelle Cumming Løkkegaard, Student Life Manager, Global Institute Copenhagen

Photo for blog post Staff Updates June 2018
​Michelle Cumming Løkkegaard is an international higher education administrator with more than 25 years of experience. Michelle worked for more than 15 years at the University of Minnesota as a study abroad coordinator, specializing in new program development, partnerships with faculty and academic departments through curriculum integration efforts, and managing programs in under-represented countries and disciplines. Michelle relocated to Copenhagen in 2003 and worked for several United Nations agencies in human resources. From 2009-2018, she managed an international research group at the University of Copenhagen's Niels Bohr Institute. She has also been hosting faculty-led programs in Denmark, and completing other international education projects for U.S. universities.

Peter Dau, Administrative Manager, Global Institute Copenhagen

​ ​

Peter Dau
Peter Dau holds a master’s degree in American Studies and bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Southern Denmark. While achieving his academic degree, Peter has been on multiple exchange programs where he studied at San Diego State University, California, U.S .and at Sung Kyun Kwan University in Seoul, South Korea. Before joining CIEE, Peter worked eight years with Avis Budget Group A/S where he handled administration and logistic tasks for the office in Copenhagen.

LATIN AMERICA & CARIBBEAN

Melisa Riviere, Director, CIEE Havana

Melisa has 20 years of academic experience in Latin American Studies and in the study abroad field. Being a first generation Latina, born in the U.S. to Argentinean parents, Melisa has focused her studies on Cuba, Puerto Rico, as well as on Latinos in the United States.  In her most recent role as lecturer and administrator for the Institute for Global Studies at the University of Minnesota, she led semester, summer and FAC groups abroad to Cuba and Puerto Rico. Before that, she was academic director on Cuban History, Culture and Identity. Melisa holds a Ph.D. in Anthropology from the University of Minnesota and a Master’s degree in Anthropology from the same institution. Her interests include academic research and art.