CIEE Hosts Visit by Ambassador Daniel Mulhall

CIEE was honored to host Daniel Mulhall,  Ireland's Ambassador to the United States, at our headquarters in Portland, Maine, this week.  Ambassador Mulhall talked about the importance of international exchange and his experiences as a J-1 exchange visitor in the mid seventies.  He described how the summer he spent working at Winstead's Diner in Kansas City, Missouri, as a Work & Travel USA participant was his first stop on the road to foreign service. 

Ambassador Mulhall's best memory of his time as an exchange visitor was the kindness of the people who sponsored him. Their generosity allowed him to experience life in another part of the world, giving him an international perspective that shaped his career trajectory. 

"One of the greatest things I've learned," said Ambassador Mulhall, "is that no one has a monopoly on wisdom. If there is a wisdom, it is through sharing experiences and interactions with people around the world."

Ambassador Mullhall talks more about his Summer Work Travel experience on the 22.33 stories podcast.