CIEE Awards Northeastern University $1 Million Grant To Lead Change in Study Abroad

Matching grant will support public health programs in Botswana and Ghana for students from diverse backgrounds 

CIEE has selected Northeastern University as one of four nationally recognized institutions of higher education to receive $1 million in matching grants over four years to establish new study abroad programs that will advance institutional goals while improving student outcomes.

Northeastern will use the Leading Change in Study Abroad Challenge grant to create an innovative suite of two-week summer courses on public health in Botswana and Ghana for underrepresented students as part of their broader university-wide commitment to investing in Africa and global health.

Focused primarily on students who qualify for Pell (or Pell eligible/adjacent) grants, the program will increase access for underrepresented students by supporting program costs, flights, and housing, as well as related costs, such as acquiring passports and immunizations. The program is designed to increase participation in international learning experiences for students from diverse backgrounds and increase equity and inclusion in Northeastern’s programmatic offerings.

Announced in November 2023 at the 76th Annual CIEE Study Abroad conference in Paris, CIEE’s Pledge to Lead Change in Study Abroad seeks to show how a well-designed international exchange program can improve college enrollments, student retention rates, student graduation rates, and perhaps most importantly, enhance student employability and economic mobility. 

From a pool of 21 outstanding proposals from institutions across the United States, Arizona State University, Borough of Manhattan Community College, Northeastern University, and UC San Diego were selected for their proposed bold study abroad programs that advance institutional goals and improve student outcomes.

Each of the four winners pledged to match CIEE’s $1 million grant resulting in a total of $8 million in funding over four years for students to study abroad in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Europe.

The four colleges chosen will launch national models of international education programs by showing how study abroad programs can:

• Advance Both Institutional and Student Success Goals – including advancing their enrollment strategy, improving student retention, increasing graduation rates, and providing students with skills and competencies that enhance their career aspirations;
  • Expand Access to Students From all Backgrounds and Academic Majors – including Pell-eligible, first-generation, men, scientists, engineers, and other non-traditional student groups; and
  • Improve Our World Through Impactful Student Engagement Abroad - including programs that enhance student success while helping to serve the broader needs of our global community like climate change, public health, and refugees.

“Northeastern’s public health programs accomplishes all three goals of the Leading Change in Study Abroad Challenge even as it advances President Aoun’s commitment to invest in Africa and global public health programs.  We look forward to working with Northeastern University’s leadership over the next four years to help them implement their bold vision,” said James P. Pellow, Ed.D., President and CEO of CIEE.