Tag ans Meer

Katherine B.

Yesterday my host mom, host sister and I made an Ausflug to the Nordsee. After a short car ride, we arrived in the charming village of Norddeich and set out exploring. 

Our first stop was lunch on the Deich. A Deich (dyke) is a large wall of Earth that prevents flooding in coastal towns. As my host mom explained to me, if it weren’t for Deiche, the Netherlands would be underwater. In any case, we found a spot with a good view of the sea and enjoyed our Fischbrötchen and Lachs. 

We then headed to an ice cream parlor. One thing I’ve learned from my first week in Germany is that Germans don’t joke around when it comes to ice cream. In the typical Eiscafe, one can purchase ice cream made to look like spaghetti (Spaghettieis), or a beloved children’s TV character (Maja die Biene). My host sister and I decided on Bubblewaffeln: an eggy, sweet waffle holding two scoops of ice cream and all the toppings your heart desires. 

The highlight of the day was the Seehundstation, or seal sanctuary. The Seehundstation is home to lost or injured baby seals until they can be released into the Nordsee. The station also has an educational component, through which we were able to learn about the seal life cycle and watch the seals in their pools. The seals were all adorable, and some of them were still quite young. I think I have a new favorite animal…