Preparing for Departure

Briana P.

Guten Tag! I'm Briana, and I'm beyond excited to share that in just under 50 days, I'll be touching down in Germany for an unforgettable year abroad. It's surreal to think about how much my life has already changed in anticipation of this adventure.

This summer hasn't been your typical long break. To prepare for my year abroad, I'm taking two dual-enrollment classes to get my credits in order, working a part-time job at a caverns for extra cash, and logging miles in hopes of reaching 100 this summer. Of course, I've also been squeezing in German lessons whenever possible. These last few months have reminded me to cherish the little things since I’ll be away from my hometown for over nine months: laughing with friends at work, running down the familiar back roads of my hometown, and taking classes in English (because soon, Deutsch will be my classroom language!).

So, why did I take a leap and apply for the CBYX scholarship? Well, for starters, I love traveling and learning about new cultures and languages. I'm fortunate to have parents who often travel and take me and my brother with them. A major stepping stone in my desire to go on an exchange year was in 2022 when my family and I spent a little over two weeks in Italy. I fell in love with the country, the people, and the culture. Since then, I've been exploring opportunities to go abroad for a longer period to fully immerse myself in a country’s culture.

Over the past few years, I've been looking for opportunities, from summer camps overseas to various exchange programs. The challenge was that I couldn't afford them on my minimum-wage job. Last fall, I spoke to my guidance counselor about my school's exchange programs and was disappointed to find out we didn't really have any. My school is quite small, and opportunities are limited. Luckily, the next day, she found three state-offered programs that were free. I fell in love with the CBYX program at first sight—a year in Germany for free!

The only time I had been in Germany was during a layover in Frankfurt, but I remember how clean the airport was and the sense of order. I was beyond excited to apply. Soon after learning about the program, I started working on my application during my breaks at work and after school. When I told my parents and peers, they gave me strange looks; none of them really knew what an exchange year was or what it meant. My parents didn’t take it seriously, considering the low acceptance rate. I worked hard on my application and showcased my best qualities. When I got the email early last winter that I had made it to the semi-finalist round, I was so proud of myself. I remember running downstairs to tell my parents, and I couldn't be more thankful for their support.

Leading up to the semi-finalist interviews, I practiced questions, learned German, and even bought brand new clothes to put my best foot forward. I arrived in Atlanta, Georgia, full of nerves. The whole plane ride, I was practicing what I wanted to say and how I wanted to present myself. When I got there, I calmed down a lot because the CBYX alumni who picked me up, along with other semi-finalists, were friendly. The whole two days in Atlanta flew by. I met amazing people and got a glimpse of what this life-changing year might look like.

Leaving Atlanta, I felt hopeful but had to deal with radio silence for a few months. When the finalist emails came out and I saw I was waitlisted, I remained hopeful, knowing many people eventually get off the waitlist. A few months later, in April, while I was at my best friend’s birthday party, my mom started to text me like crazy. When I saw her message saying I was now a CBYX finalist, I was shocked. Since that day in April, I've been thinking about how to make the next year the best one yet in Germany. Departure is getting closer and closer, and I couldn't be more enthusiastic. I've just found out about my host family, who are already so welcoming, bought my suitcases, and have been reaching out to other finalists to get to know them better.

The journey has already been incredible, and I can’t wait to take you along for the ride through my blog as I fully immerse myself in the German culture and language. I am so excited for my departure flight! I cannot wait to touch down in Germany in under a month. Until next time from Language Camp in Germany, auf Wiedersehen for now!